I remember joking with Comics Alliance’s Andrew Wheeler when he worked for Google about Google starting its own Google Comics and putting Marvel and DC out of business. It didn’t happen, though they had a few stabs in that direction over time.
But rather than gunning for comic book publishers, it appears Google may have their eyes on Bleeding Cool. And Collider. And Screen Rant and CBR and io9 and JoBlo and Polygon and Comic Book and everyone else.
And whatever it is, it will be called ‘Geeker’.
Google has applied to register the trademark ‘Geeker’ for ‘Providing information, news, websites, commentary, videos, blogs, non-downloadable publications, podcasts, and television programs all in the fields of popular culture, Japanese animation, comic books, video games; television distribution services’
Considering its size, Google doesn’t do an awful lot of trademark registrations. So, this might be something of note. It filed on March 1st 2018 and while these things take time to come through, it is an indication of what Google may be planning. For all of us.
Currently Geeker.com is a website intended to stream classic movies, games and books, but it is criticised by those who believe it is a scam. It is owned by Geeker Media.
Might Google have bigger plans for the name? What Google wants… it tends to get.
- Win a Private Tour of DC Comics’ Archive for LGBTQ Charity - December 16, 2018
- Hindus Call For Apology From Marvel Over Uncanny X-Men #5 - December 16, 2018
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List 16th December 2018 – Batman Damned Beats The One Who Laughs - December 16, 2018
- Monica’s Gang/DC Comics Crossover Published in Brazil - December 16, 2018
- Free Nancy Drew #1 and Project Superpowers #1 To Launch Dynamite Groupees Bundles - December 16, 2018