Aldon Smith, once the 7th player drafted in the 2011 draft by the San Francisco 49ers, was cut earlier this week by the Oakland Raiders after an arrest warrant was issued Monday stemming from charges of domestic violence, assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury, false imprisonment, and vandalism. Smith turned himself in to the SFPD today and was booked at 12:25 p.m. PST.
The police obtained the arrest warrant for Smith after allegations that he assaulted a woman on Saturday night. Smith left the scene before the police arrived to respond to the 911 call. The alleged victim, Smith’s fiancée, told TMZ on Monday that the former All-Pro had checked into a rehab facility with help from her parents:
I wish the best for Aldon. And I’m scared for his life with his addiction. I cannot comment on the altercation, but I can tell you I love him and [am] so happy he turned to my family, who considers him family, and hopefully he gets the help he truly needs.
This isn’t Smith’s first trouble with the law, having been arrested on DUI charges multiple times and faced weapons charges that were eventually reduced. He is currently being held on a $30,000 bond.
Smith played for the 49ers from 2011 to 2014 before signing with the Raiders. He started seven games for the Silver & Black before being suspended for a year for brushes with the law and violations of the league’s substance abuse policy. Though his year suspension ended on November 17th, 2016, he has not been reinstated by the league.
- Black Lightning Season 1: Jefferson Pierce, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018
- Supergirl Season 3: Brainiac 5, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018
- Legends of Tomorrow Season 3: Beebo, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018
- Arrow Season 6: Cayden James, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018
- The Flash Season 4: Ralph Dibny, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018