Sterling Archer (H. Jon Benjamin) is trading the gumshoe life of 1947 Los Angeles-esque Dreamland for an island adventure filled with spies, double-deals…and Krieger as a parrot? Looks like that’s just the tip of the volcano, as FXX announced on Wednesday that the ninth season of the hit Adam Reed/Matt Thompson animated series Archer: Danger Island will premiere on Wednesday, April 25th at 10 p.m. ET.
Here’s your overview for FXX’s ninth season, Archer: Danger Island:
Archer: Danger Island finds Sterling Archer (H. Jon Benjamin) as a semi-functioning alcoholic seaplane pilot — a lush on the lush South Pacific island of Mitimotu. It’s 1939, and while the rest of the world is concerned about the looming Second World War, Archer is concerned only with who’s buying his next drink. Along with his trusty co-pilot/sidekick Pam (Amber Nash), Archer must navigate quicksand, cannibals, super-intelligent monkeys, poison darts and pirates in this dangerous and mysterious land.
● Jessica Walter (Malory) plays Archer’s acid-tongued mother and hotel owner/bartender
● Aisha Tyler (Lana) is Princess Lanaluakalani, island royalty and local revolutionary
● Judy Greer (Cheryl) is heiress Charlotte Vandertunt, abandoned after her husband catches her with Archer
● Chris Parnell (Cyril) is Siegbert Fuchsthe, an obvious German spy posing as an English real estate mogul
● Adam Reed (Ray) is the impeccably uniformed French Capitaine Reynaud
● Lucky Yates (Dr. Krieger) serves as Archer’s smart-mouthed parrot, Crackers
In an interview with SplitSider in March 2017, Thompson discussed the importance of always looking for new ways to tell new stories:
“I think to some degree you can make an argument that it’s less challenging. I have a very difficult time telling the same story and the same joke over and over again without it becoming stale. And once you get to an eighth season of a TV show, I just feel there’s a precipitous drop-off on people’s interest. And I think that’s one of the reasons we don’t want to keep giving you mission-of-the-week and the same story over and over; we want to allow these characters all to be slightly different but yet the same, and it keeps our interest. When we’re interested, we’re going to be better storytellers.
How do you do the eighth season of a show when you’re not changing your set, when you’re not changing your storylines and keep it fresh? I don’t know if it’s possible. That’s one of the reasons we first did the cocaine season in season 5 and we got such joy out of it. We’re like, “Okay, hold on a second, nothing really, really changed in that season. Pam was still Pam, Archer was still Archer, but yeah, there were slight shift in things.” And that thought, to have a show where you recognize the players and you recognize the personalities, but yet now it’s slightly different, it’s really cool to me personally. And I hope others enjoy it as much as I do.”
Archer: Danger Island, the series’ ninth season on FX/FXX, premieres on April 25th.
- Heathers Season 1: Your Guide to Paramount Network’s 5-Night “Binge Event” - October 19, 2018
- Kidding Season 1, Episode 7 ‘Kintsugi’: “Mr. Pickles-san” Pays a Visit (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- Charmed s01e02 ‘Let This Mother Out’: Can The Vera Sisters Trust Harry Greenwood? (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 13, Episode 7: ‘The Gang Does a Clip Show’ as Only They Can (REVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9, Episode 3 ‘Warning Signs’: Saviors Want Answers from “The Widow” (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018