This piece is running on Bleeding Cool because, well, there’s going to be a lot of it about.
A couple of days ago, a user posted on Twitter, that he went to see the Black Panther film, but was beaten up by a “group of black youths” who told him that the film wasn’t for him, and he was on his way to ER. He posted bloodied tissues as proof.
Just the kind of thing to cause all sorts of ructions. Some people saw this as the trollposting it was, and the individual’s name might have been a clue. Others didn’t. Others searched on Flickr to find the stock photos.
Fuck is you out here lying for you fucking stupid ass lame pic.twitter.com/9cEPCQ9qc0
— 💧G O D🍷 (@IGNOTAtheFather) February 16, 2018
The user, Kinda6t confessed to this being his tenth Twitter ID and that he delighted in causing mayhem. Since then, his Twitter ID has been removed.
Since then there have been more fake claims, each time using pre-existing photographs, from other accounts. And with a clear aim to incite reaction from those… open to being incited.
These are not isolated examples, Bleeding Cool is aware of some systematic attempts to cause real trouble around the release of the Black Panther movie. Just reading the reports of the Department of Justice recent charges does seem to share certain aspects in common with this.
When it comes to the internet right now, the carpenter’s paraphrased advice of check twice, retweet once does seem to apply…
- The Deaths of [SPOILERS] in Next Week’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Annual #1 - April 19, 2018
- Want to See Infinity War with Donny Cates and Jim Zub or Deadpool 2 with Fabian Nicieza? - April 19, 2018
- The ComiXology Version of Action Comics #1000 is Missing Important Pages - April 19, 2018
- Esad Ribic’s Cover for Fantastic Four #1 – and Reed is Keeping the Beard - April 19, 2018
- Venom #1 Relaunch from Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman Tops Advance Reorders - April 19, 2018