As part of Bleeding Cool‘s never-ending mission to cover every corner of the pop culture universe — and because we have an unwavering love for dogs — we’ll be live-blogging the 142nd Annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show on Monday, February 12th and Tuesday, February 13th from 8 p.m. – 11 p.m. ET; with the competition broadcast on Fox Sports 1.
Entitled Going to the Dogs, our live-blog will cover both nights of group competition from New York City’s Madison Square Garden as well as Tuesday night’s “Best in Show” finale. We’ll be offering some funny and irreverent takes on the internationally renowned canine competition from the perspective of someone whose broad knowledge base on dogs extends to never feeding them chocolate, knowing that a proper mix of wet and dry food is key, and that a tennis ball is to a dog what a large cardboard box is to an eight-year-old.
In an effort to get everyone (including ourselves) as fully knowledgeable on the different groups of dogs who will be in canine conflict Monday and Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden, the fine folks as Fox Sports 1 have put together a series of “FYI” videos that give you a little background on each of the seven groups in competition at this year’s 142nd Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show: Hound, Toy, Non-Sporting, Herding, Sporting, Working and Terrier.
Here’s an overview of the Terrier Group; as well as the American Kennel Club (AKC)-recognized definition standard for dogs within that group (which is just a fancy way of saying that this is what the dogs in this group are all about).
TERRIER: “Terrier” comes from the Latin word, terra (ground) as these determined and courageous dogs must be small enough and agile enough to “go to ground” to pursue their quarry (rats, foxes, and other vermin). All but the Australian Terrier and the Miniature Schnauzer were developed in the United Kingdom.
2017 Terrier Group Winner: Taliesin Twice As Nice — Norwich Terrier
— Westminster Dog Show (@WKCDOGS) February 15, 2017
- A.P. Bio Season 1, Episode 11 ‘Eight Pigs and a Rat’ Review: I Am Jack’s Snitch - April 20, 2018
- Dexter Plays It Safe, Big Poppa Trump, ‘Dead’ Endings, and More! [The Weekly Static s01e36] - April 20, 2018
- Dexter’s Michael C. Hall Isn’t Playing It ‘Safe’ in Netflix’s Mystery-Drama Series - April 20, 2018
- Deadly Class: Syfy Orders Rick Remender, Wes Craig Image Graphic Novel to Series - April 18, 2018
- Maniac: Netflix Releases First Images from Jonah Hill, Emma Stone Mind-Bending Series - April 18, 2018