James Hetfield, frontman of Metallica, is going to try his hand at acting. The singer has been cast in Voltage Pictures’ upcoming film, Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile. The film is a thriller about the notorious serial killer Ted Bundy (Zac Efron), and Hetfield will play officer Bob Hayward, the Utah highway patrolman who was the first law enforcement offier to arrest Bundy in 1975 when he pulled Bundy over and found burglary tools in the car. Hayward suspected there was even more going on.
Hetfield has appeared as himself in some film and television projects, this will be the first time he will be taking on a role. The film is being directed by Joe Berlinger, who directed and produced the rock-documentary Metallica: Some Kind of Monster. He also wrote a book about his experience with the band called Metallica: This Monster Lives.
Besides Hetfield and Efron, the film also stars Lily Collins, John Malkovich, Jim Parsons, Haley Joel Osment, Kaya Scodelario, Angela Sarafyan, Jeffrey Donovan Terry Kinney, and Dylan Baker.
Belinger said in a statement about the casting:
“Having spent hundreds of hours behind the scenes with James and the rest of Metallica, I have experienced his charisma and powerful presence close up. It seemed only natural that he would bring that same power and magnetism to a dramatic role, so when he agreed to my pitch that he be in the movie, I was thrilled.”
Michael Werwie is writing the screenplay. No release date has been given.
- Black Lightning Season 1: Jefferson Pierce, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018
- Supergirl Season 3: Brainiac 5, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018
- Legends of Tomorrow Season 3: Beebo, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018
- Arrow Season 6: Cayden James, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018
- The Flash Season 4: Ralph Dibny, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018