Add this to the list of unusual stuff to be banned for in a video game as a programmer received a permanent ban from Ubisoft for creating a mod for The Division that allows you to capture photos in the game. Matti Hietanen received his ban this week for what is essentially breaking the game’s Terms Of Service that you agree to upon purchase by tampering with the properties of the game. Even though Hietanen didn’t create any kind of cheating program or tech that would give him an edge in gameplay, he got this message that he decided to share on Twitter.
Worth it tho. pic.twitter.com/TbRT7aepFd
— Matti Hietanen (@Hattiwatt1) February 6, 2018
Hietanen is no stranger to making photo mods as it has been pointed out on other forums and sites that he’s made them for games like Dark Souls 3 and Battlefield 1. However, the interesting twist to this is that his tweet got a response from Julian Gerighty, who is Ubisoft’s Creative Director, and someone who apparently took great interest in the situation.
Hey Matti, I’ll check this out today. Love your work and would like to see more.
— Julian Gerighty (@jgerighty) February 9, 2018
Fingers crossed that this situation turns into a positive for Hietanen, who has clearly shown a talent for the artistic side of gaming and allowing people to do some amazing photography work as they play. We say if he can somehow make it happen, he should become a freelance programmer and help develop more camera tools like this for other games in development. But that’s just what we would do in his shoes…
- Ubisoft Says They'll Keep Supporting Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- A Single Dark Souls 3 Speedrunner Now Holds Eight Different Records
- Good News To The Division Fans, You May Be Getting A Sequel
- A Complete List Of Fixes For 'The Division' With The 1.6.1 Patch
- Ubisoft Continues To Perform Well Financially, And Still Suck At Humblebragging
- Ubisoft Won't Be Releasing That Avatar Game Any Time Soon
- The Division's Free Weekend Is Starting Early
- Nintendo Switch to get Mercenaries Wings: The False Phoenix - October 22, 2018
- Blizzard is Giving Away Diablo III Switch Bundles in a Treasure Hunt - October 22, 2018
- The Enclave Faction Returns in Fallout 76 - October 22, 2018
- Jade Raymond, Founder of EA Motive, Has Left the Company - October 22, 2018
- Intellivision Releases a New Trailer for the Amico Console - October 22, 2018