Hot on the heels of the other big Star Wars news today, we get additional information about even MORE Star Wars stuff in the works.
On an earnings call today, Bob Iger said:
“We are developing not just one, but a few Star Wars series specifically for the Disney direct to consumer app. We’ve mentioned that and we are close to being able to reveal at least one of the interties that is developing that for us. Because the deal isn’t completely closed, we can’t be specific about that. I think you’ll find the level of talent … on the television front will be rather significant as well.”
We’d written about the original news back in November when the story first hit, but this is Iger saying “a few”, as in more than one, which outlets were surmising when the news hit last year.
You’ll recall that Disney announced they were doing their own streaming service platform, pulling all their titles from Netflix (except for the Marvel Netflix tv series, for now) in preparation for re-launching them on their own service sometime in 2019.
As to the big news from earlier today that Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss were creating their own stand alone trilogy of Star Wars films in addition to the previously reported news that Rian Johnson (Star Wars: The Last Jedi) was doing his own Skywalker-less trilogy too, Iger continued:
“Their interest was in creating a series of films that are Star Wars-based and we’ve actually been talking to them for a long time. To my knowledge they didn’t express interest in creating a series. They have an idea for number of films and at some later date I’m sure we’ll disclose to all of you just what those are. They are focused on a point in time in the Star Wars mythology and taking it from there.”
- HBO SVP of Drama Spills on Game of Thrones' Final Season
- Bob Iger Says No Plans to Change Fox Searchlight After Disney's Fox Acquisition
- Jon Favreau to Write and Produce Live Action Star Wars TV Series
- [Watch] Star Wars: The Last Jedi 'The Force of Sound' Doc
- Game of Thrones Creators to Helm a New Series of Star Wars Films
- Former Apple, Samsung Exec to Head Disney's Streaming Netflix-Competing Service
- HBO Confirms 2019 'Game Of Thrones' Release Date
- Season 7 Will be the Last for ‘Orange is the New Black’ - October 17, 2018
- 9 Photos from ‘Outlander’ Season 4 Have Jamie, Claire, and More - October 17, 2018
- New Teaser for ‘Vikings’ Season 5b Brings the Blood and Chaos - October 17, 2018
- Chris Hemsworth has Wrapped Filming on ‘Men In Black’ - October 17, 2018
- Edna Mode’s “Designing Fabulous” Featurette from ‘Incredibles 2’ DVD - October 17, 2018