Ryan Murphy continues expanding his programming empire beyond Fox’s family of channels with news that Netflix has won the rights to the American Horror Story creator’s new hour-long comedy/social commentary series The Politician. Created by frequent collaborators Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan, the series has received a two-season straight-to-series order and is set to star Ben Platt (Dear Evan Hanson); with Oscar winners Barbra Streisand and Gwyneth Paltrow in negotiations to join the project.
Though no specific details on the series have been formally released, Deadline Hollywood also reports exclusively that The Politician is expected to center on Platt’s character Payton: a wealthy Santa Barbara resident with strong political aspirations. Each season will cover a different election campaign as Payton climbs the ladder of political power. Platt is expected to be involved in several musical numbers throughout the season; adding the potential involvement of Streisand and Paltrow into the mix, a heated bidding war began among a number of the streaming and cable services.
Murphy will direct the pilot for The Politician, as is his custom for all of his series. Streisand is also expected to direct a number of the episodes; and also serve as a producer, alongside Paltrow and Platt. Falchuk and Murphy have been quietly working on the script for The Politician over the past year, with Glee co-creator Brennan brought on board to complete the project. All three are expected to share series co-creator credit. For his part, Platt has been actively involved in the series’ casting process; with a late Summer 2018 production start expected.
Fox 21 TV Studios will be serve as the production home, as part of Murphy’s overall deal at 20th Century Fox TV. The Politician is now Murphy’s second series at Netflix — the streaming service has also given the go-ahead for Ratched, starring Sarah Paulson (American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson) as a younger version of the infamous Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.
- Ryan Murphy Talks Darren Criss, 'Versace' Finale, and What's Next
- Gal Gadot Will Voice Herself in an Episode of The Simpsons
- Deadly Class: Syfy Orders Rick Remender, Wes Craig Image Graphic Novel to Series - April 18, 2018
- Maniac: Netflix Releases First Images from Jonah Hill, Emma Stone Mind-Bending Series - April 18, 2018
- Siren Season 1, Episode 4 ‘On The Road’ Review: There’s Something About Helen - April 18, 2018
- GLOW Season 2 Sets June Premiere Date, Goes ‘Maniac’ in New Teaser - April 18, 2018
- Stranger Things Season 3 Adds The Princess Bride’s Cary Elwes, Starship Trooper’s Jake Busey - April 18, 2018