With only hours to go before Spike TV has to have its stuff out of the Paramount Network‘s apartment, the newly re-branded network is using the occasion to unveil a new “red band” trailer for Heathers, their new hour-long original series based on the 1988 cult classic film that would jump-start the careers of stars Winona Ryder (Stranger Things), Christian Slater (Mr. Robot), and Shannen Doherty (Beverly Hills 90210).
And while it might seem like things are a ton different in this version, the appearance of Doherty serves as a nice bridge to the original film:
Heather Chandler (Melanie Field) is the unconventional leader of this popular high school clique and rules Westerburg High through fear, intimidation and amazing fashion sense. Heather Duke (Brendan Scannell) is Heather C’s #1 sidekick and harnesses the Heather’s power to destroy whoever he views as a total discount hobgoblin. Heather McNamara (Jasmine Mathews) is considered the nicest Heather in the group who lives in the shadow of the others. JD Dean (James Scully) is the new boy in town with a dark side and sets out on a reckless path of destruction proving that no one, even his girlfriend Veronica (Grace Victoria Cox), is safe.
Heathers also features Paige Weldon, Cayden Boyd, Adwin Brown Adwin Brown, Christina Burdette and Cameron Gellman. Selma Blair (Cruel Intentions) is set to reoccur as Heather Duke’s money-hungry stepmom, Jade.
Jason Micallef (Butter) serves as executive producer and showrunner for Heathers; with Leslye Headland (Sleeping with Other People) directing from Micallef’s pilot script and serving as executive producer on the pilot. Tom Rosenberg and Gary Lucchesi will also serve as executive producers, representing Lakeshore Entertainment.
For Keith Cox, President of Development and Production for the Paramount Network, it was about the series staying faithful to the vibe of the original film while still being able to carve-out its own identity:
“Our take on Heathers is a cinematic, surprising and twisted comedy that gives a wonderful nod to the film while also creating something entirely its own. We’re really passionate about this show and the satirical story-telling its provocative characters allow.”
- Ash vs Evil Dead Season 3 Gets a Poster and Trailer
- Taking Confession 309 ‘Schwanzkopf’: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Season 3, Episode 9 Live-Blog! - August 19, 2018
- Dead Man Blogging 410 ‘Close Your Eyes’: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Fear the Walking Dead’ Live-Blog! - August 19, 2018
- ‘American Horror Story: Apocalypse’- Ryan Murphy Tweets the Coven’s Return - August 19, 2018
- Preacher Rewind 308: A Look Back at Bleeding Cool’s Thoughts on ‘The Tom/Brady’ - August 19, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead Rewind 409: A Look Back at Our Thoughts on ‘People Like Us’ - August 19, 2018