With a move that many are seeing as Amazon continuing their purge of ousted president Roy Price‘s original-programming strategy, Amazon has announced that they’ve cancelled three original series: I Love Dick, One Mississippi and Jean-Claude Van Johnson. Company founder Jeff Bezos mandated a move away from their current programming strategy and toward larger, broader series that can be sold domestically and internationally.
All three series were developed under Price, who was fired from Amazon last year following the fallout from a sexual harassment investigation. Even before his dismissal, Price was ordered by Bezos to shift the streaming service’s programming focus. Though Price can claim credit for the critical and awards success of series such as Transparent and Mozart in the Jungle, Bezos isn’t satisfied that the digital media giant doesn’t have a broad cross-demographic hit like HBO’s Game of Thrones and AMC’s The Walking Dead.
Adapted from the lauded feminist novel, I LOVE DICK is set in a colorful academic community in Marfa, Texas. It tells the story of a struggling married couple, Chris and Sylvere, and their obsession with a charismatic professor named Dick. Told in Rashomon-style shifts of POV, I LOVE DICK charts the unraveling of a marriage, the awakening of an artist and the deification of a reluctant messiah.
Starring: Kevin Bacon, Kathryn Hahn, Griffin Dunne
One Mississippi is a dark comedy inspired by comedian Tig Notaro’s life. Tig returns to her hometown in Mississippi, where she contends with the death of her mother and her own mortality as she embarks on a painful yet hilarious journey that unearths uncomfortable truths about her family and her self.
Starring: Tig Notaro, Noah Harpster, John Rothman
What if I told you that Jean-Claude Van Damme – yes, THAT Jean-Claude Van Damme – was, in fact, a secret agent? That his entire film career was built solely as a front for his black ops? Would you believe me? No? Well then that’s egg on your face because that’s what this show is about.
Starring: Jean-Claude Van Damme, Kat Foster, Moises Arias
- Stephen King Fan's Amazing Collection Ruined in Flood
- I’m Dying Up Here’s Ginger Gonzaga Joins Jim Carrey’s Showtime Comedy Series ‘Kidding’ - May 21, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead Season 4, Episode 7 Preview: Naomi Tries Convincing Madison to Leave - May 21, 2018
- SundanceTV, AMC Networks Join for Series Adaptation of Umberto Eco’s The Name of the Rose - May 21, 2018
- iZombie Season 4, Episode 11 ‘Insane in the Germ Brain’ Review: Got Change on the Brain! - May 21, 2018
- Award-Winning Composer Kevin Riepl Talks ‘Higher Power,’ Inspirations and Geek Guilty Pleasures - May 20, 2018