Sherlock fans have been clamouring for a new season of the show, but there isn’t one forthcoming in the foreseeable future from the BBC, if at all.
Fear not! HBO Asia has seen fit to produce their own remake of the popular BBC show in Japan — by switching genders.
HBO Asia’s website describes the show thus:
“MISS SHERLOCK pays homage to the classic by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes, with bold interpretations of the iconic characters, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson. MISS SHERLOCK is set in modern day Tokyo and both lead characters are Japanese women – Dr. Wato Tachibana, a surgeon recently returned from a volunteer doctors’ mission in Syria and Sara Shelly Futaba, an investigation consultant to the police department who solves bizarre and difficult cases. Throughout the series, the pair solves mystery after mystery with Miss Sherlock’s extraordinary observation and reasoning skills.”
Interesting how the show seems to be going for the same vibe as the BBC version, with Yuko Takeuchi’s performance appearing to capture the same aura of manic amoral genius that Benedict Cumberbatch brought to the BBC version. Jury’s still out on Shihori Kanjiya’s version of Watson, though. The internet is already ablaze with ‘shipping. May the fan art and fanfic flow!
Miss Sherlock will premiere in April. It can be viewed in the US only via the HBO Go streaming app along with other foreign shows produced by HBO.
- Scoot McNairy Joins HBO's True Detective Season 3 Cast
- Does DC Comics have Secret Plans to Celebrate the Return of Superman’s Red Underpants? - January 19, 2018
- Miss Sherlock: HBO Asia Presents Gender-Swapped Remake of Sherlock - January 15, 2018
- Look! It Moves! – Why China Doesn’t Care about Star Wars - January 8, 2018
- Look! It Moves! – Ales Kot Talks Escaping to the Woods and His New Comic, Days of Hate - December 14, 2017
- Reaction to… is it C.B. Yoshida or Akira Cebulski? Look! It Moves! Special by Adi Tantimedh - November 29, 2017