Four days ago, Bleeding Cool told you that Marvel Comics were making all of the Marvel Legacy lenticular cover variants available to all retailers who had ordered a single copy of the subsequent issue of each series. Which was, basically, every retailer. And not go through the hoops of tiered orders that retailers originally had to go through to order even one copy. And at a swoop destroying any possible aftermarket or added value in the lenticular covers already distributed.
And a number of retailers who had been through those hoops got quite angry with Marvel.
Marvel just dropped all the Legacy lenticular covers to open order. Any store can order them now. pic.twitter.com/sAZvJU81lD
— Ryan Higgins (@RyanHigginsRyan) January 5, 2018
So Marvel removed the majority of the qualifiers for their runs of lenticular covers and WOW are retailers mad about it. And I get it. But… look.
— Brandon “Maximum Derek” Schatz (@soupytoasterson) January 5, 2018
It didn’t last long.
Retailers now tell Bleeding Cool that not only has Marvel announced that the sale has been cancelled and Marvel Comics has stated that none of these orders have been fulfilled. A rather dramatic flip-flop.
Which means that retailers who hadn’t gone through such hoops and saw an opportunity, now got angry with Marvel.
So whichever angle Marvel takes on this, they are going to see angry retailers, just different ones. It seems that Marvel has turned this situation into a lenticular cover of its very own…
Look what you could have won.
- Marvel Comics to Relaunch Captain America #1 On the Fourth Of July, 2018 - February 22, 2018
- Can We Expect the Ta-Nehisi Coates Captain America News Next Week? - February 22, 2018
- The First of the Exclusive ComicsPRO Variants Hit eBay, from $10 to $50 - February 22, 2018
- Amazing Spider-Man #794 Goes to Third Printing - February 22, 2018
- DC Comics Makes Aquaman LED Signs for Comic Stores - February 22, 2018