Netflix has found its teenage witch in the form of Mad Men alum Kiernan Shipka, who is set to take the lead in the streaming network’s upcoming series based on Archie Comics’ supernatural heroine Sabrina.
With Archie Comics’ Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Jon Goldwater serving as executive producers alongside Lee Toland Krieger, Greg Berlanti, and Sarah Schechter, the still-untitled Netflix series is based on the comic book series Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which re-imagines the origin and adventures of the character from a darker, heaver supernatural perspective.
Shipka will play Sabrina Spellman, who is described in the press release as “an empowered young woman, half-human, half-witch, Sabrina is just beginning her dark education as a sorceress, even as she tries to maintain a normal life as a sophomore at Baxter High. Intelligent, compassionate and brave to the point of recklessness, Sabrina is all that stands between us and the forces of darkness that threaten our world.”
“We’re all such huge fans of Kiernan’s work that when we started talking about who this new incarnation of Sabrina could be, her name was on everyone’s wish list. This is a darker, more macabre version of Sabrina, and we’re incredibly excited for people to see Kiernan make this iconic character her own.”
– Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
Created for Archie Comics in 1962 by George Gladir and Dan DeCarlo, Sabrina was previously known as the live-action television series Sabrina the Teenage Witch that aired on ABC, and then the WB, from 1996-2003.
“I am thrilled that Kiernan is playing Sabrina and have no doubt that she will embody the strength, courage and boldness that has made the character a fan favorite.”
– Jon Goldwater, CEO, Archie Comics
Best known for her role as Sally Draper on the AMC series Mad Men, Shipka was most recently seen on FX’s Feud. The series was originally developed at the CW before moving to Netflix in in late 2017, with Berlanti Productions producing in association with Warner Bros. TV.
- Smallville’s Sam Witwer Joins Supergirl Season 4 as Agent Liberty - July 17, 2018
- Tales from The Loop: Amazon Studios Greenlights Sci-Fi Fantasy Series Based on Simon Stålenhag Art - July 17, 2018
- Win a Chance to Cook Up a Batch with Breaking Bad’s Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul – For a Great Cause - July 17, 2018
- ‘The Politician’: Ryan Murphy Casts 4 More for Ben Platt/Gwyneth Paltrow Netflix Series - July 16, 2018
- Sean Penn Series ‘The First’ Gets Launch Date, First-Look Images from Hulu - July 16, 2018