Warner Bros.’s upcoming DC Superhero film Shazam! is picking up speed as the David F. Sandberg-helmed project adds Ian Chen from ABC’s Fresh Off the Boat. Chen joins a growing cast that already includes Zachary Levi as Captain Marvel/Shazam, Asher Angel as his young alter ego Billy Batson, Jack Dylan Grazer as Freddy Freeman, and Jovan Armand as Pedro. Chen will play Eugene, who along with Freddy and Pedro, are friends of Billy’s from a group home.
The film is written by Henry Gayden and Darren Lemke. There are unconfirmed rumors that Mark Strong is in talks to play Dr. Sivana. That may just be wishful casting by fans, though. I’d expect more announcements, including actors who could be villains, soon.
For those not familiar with the DC Comics character, he was originally called Captain Marvel and was created by Bill Parker and C.C. Beck for Fawcett Comics, a company that DC would later buy. The character is a young boy who gets the ability to tap into the power of the gods by saying the magic word Shazam. He is then transformed into a full-grown man with with the powers of Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, and Mercury… getting his powers from the wizard Shazam.
Shazam! is scheduled to land in theaters April 5th, 2019.
- Agents of SHIELD Season 5: Daisy’s Future Could Mean the End - April 23, 2018
- Eoin Marron’s Process Art from Centipede #1 - April 23, 2018
- Oakland Raiders Sign Recently Arrested and Cut Corner Daryl Worley - April 23, 2018
- The Flash Season 4: Two Arrow Actors to Guest Before the Finale - April 23, 2018
- Could Bad Behavior Lead to Fox Cancelling Lethal Weapon? - April 23, 2018