Jack Dylan Grazer, coming off a breakout performance in the hit film It, has just been added to the cast of Shazam. According to Deadline, the young actor joins Zachary Levi as the main character and Asher Angel playing his alter ego Billy Batson. Grazer will be playing the role of Billy’s best friend Freddy.
For those not familiar with the DC Comic character, he was originally called Captain Marvel and was created by Bill Parker and C.C. Beck for Fawcett Comics, a company that DC would later buy. The character is a young boy who gets the ability to tap into the power of the gods by saying the magic word Shazam. He is then transformed into a full grown man with with the powers of Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, and Mercury… getting his powers from the wizard Shazam.
If Grazer is playing Freddy from the comics, and I think it’s a safe bet he is, then it’s Freddy Freeman, a crippled newsboy that is able to tap into Captain Marvel’s powers by saying Captain Marvel’s name. He becomes Captain Marvel Jr. With this casting it’s a pretty safe bet we’ll also get Mary Marvel and possible a few other members of the Marvel Family. Maybe not Mr. Tawky-Tawny in the first film, but you never know.
David F. Sandberg is directing from a script by Henry Gayden and Darren Lemke. Filming of Shazam is slated to begin early next year. Grazer was appearing in the CBS comedy Me, Myself & I which has been pulled and is in the upcoming drama Beautiful Boy with Steve Carrell and Timothée Chalamet.
- DC Multiverse Figures Finally Get Their Act Together
- Halloween Recruits Andi Matichak as Cast Starts to Take Shape
- Read Vampirella Vol. 4 #0 Free from Dynamite’s 2017 Blockbuster Holiday Bundle - December 15, 2017
- Denver Broncos Put Trevor Siemian on IR, Will Wait to See Who Will Start - December 15, 2017
- Rob Liefeld Reacts to New Titans Image of Hawk and Dove - December 15, 2017
- Exclusive First Look at Dynamite’s Pop Culture Titles Shipping March 2017 - December 15, 2017
- 4 New Clips from Guillermo del Toro’s Trollhunters Season 2 - December 15, 2017