The CW likes to do spinoffs from their successful series. The Originals spun out of the Vampire Diaries. Arrow started setting up The Flash during their second season and both series set up DC’s Legends of Tomorrow a year later. But their longest-running series, Supernatural, has not had a spinoff… until now. The CW is doing what is known as a ‘backdoor pilot’ for the Wayward Sisters.
A backdoor pilot is a pilot that airs within another series, so there is an upcoming episode of Supernatural that will start the story of Sheriff Jody Mills (Kim Rhodes) and a group of troubled young women, all of them orphaned by supernatural tragedy. Under Mills’s training and protection, the women will emerge as a supreme monster-fighting force. Unlike the original series, which centers on biological brothers, Wayward Sisters is about a sisterhood of girls in a foster family. Also included in the group are Claire (Kathryn Love Newton), Alex (Katherine Ramdeen), Donna (Brianna Buckmaster), Patience (Clark Backo), and Kaia (Yadira Guevara-Prip).
It’s about time we get a good monster-hunting spinoff.
EW.com got an exclusive first look at the Wayward Sisters. The backdoor pilot is set to air on Thursday, January 18th on The CW.
- iZombie Season 4: Did the Writers Name Liv’s New Love Interest Based on This Ship Name? - March 23, 2018
- Luke Cage’s Mike Colter to Appear on The Good Fight Season 2 - March 23, 2018
- Gifted Season 2: Amy Acker Wants to Get Out of the Mom Realm - March 23, 2018
- Lucifer Season 3: Mazikeen Really Wants to Go Back to Hell - March 23, 2018
- Writer’s Commentary: Jeremy Whitley on Vampirella #11 - March 23, 2018