Saturday Night Live‘s Bill Hader is stepping into the role of a lifetime: a walking personification of the “comedy/tragedy” duality in the form of Barry, the lead character in and title of HBO‘s upcoming comedy series. Created by Hader (IFC’s Documentary Now!, Comedy Central’s South Park) and Silicon Valley executive producer Alec Berg, the series is expected to bow in Spring 2018; with Hader also set to make his directorial debut helming several episodes of the series. Hader will be joined by Stephen Root, Sarah Goldberg, Glenn Fleshler, Anthony Carrigan and Henry Winkler.
Here’s your first official teaser look at HBO‘s Barry:
Barry centers on ex-Marine Barry who works as a low-rent hitman in the Midwest. Lonely and dissatisfied in his life, he begrudgingly travels to Los Angeles to kill someone and ends up finding an accepting community in a group of eager hopefuls within the LA theater scene.
For Hader, the best stories told are the ones that can blend the improbability of reality in such a way that it almost seems unbelievable:
“When you watch movies, and you grow up on movies, you kind of have a set amount of attitudes and behaviors that you see played on screen. And when you read non -fiction, or watch some sort of documentary, it gives you a whole set of behaviors that people usually don’t play with because they might seem totally implausible or insane—or it might just be deemed uninteresting to people backing movies, you know what I mean?
But I mean, sometimes that’s the truth. Sometimes people do something completely unrelatable, or act without conscience. And I like people who just go, ‘Well that’s the truth!’ Whatever you say about it, that’s the truth about the situation, and you can say that for people from Chekhov, to Martin Scorsese, to the South Park guys. They’re all just trying to get at, like, ‘Say what you will—but that’s the truth.’”
- Actors on Actors: Bill Hader and Jason Bateman Talk Auditions and More
- We Learn 'How to American' with Silicon Valley's Jimmy O. Yang
- Smallville’s Sam Witwer Joins Supergirl Season 4 as Agent Liberty - July 17, 2018
- Tales from The Loop: Amazon Studios Greenlights Sci-Fi Fantasy Series Based on Simon Stålenhag Art - July 17, 2018
- Win a Chance to Cook Up a Batch with Breaking Bad’s Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul – For a Great Cause - July 17, 2018
- ‘The Politician’: Ryan Murphy Casts 4 More for Ben Platt/Gwyneth Paltrow Netflix Series - July 16, 2018
- Sean Penn Series ‘The First’ Gets Launch Date, First-Look Images from Hulu - July 16, 2018