Saturday Night Live‘s Bill Hader is stepping into the role of a lifetime: a walking personification of the “comedy/tragedy” duality in the form of Barry, the lead character in and title of HBO‘s upcoming comedy series. Created by Hader (IFC’s Documentary Now!, Comedy Central’s South Park) and Silicon Valley executive producer Alec Berg, the series is expected to bow in Spring 2018; with Hader also set to make his directorial debut helming several episodes of the series. Hader will be joined by Stephen Root, Sarah Goldberg, Glenn Fleshler, Anthony Carrigan and Henry Winkler.
Here’s your first official teaser look at HBO‘s Barry:
Barry centers on ex-Marine Barry who works as a low-rent hitman in the Midwest. Lonely and dissatisfied in his life, he begrudgingly travels to Los Angeles to kill someone and ends up finding an accepting community in a group of eager hopefuls within the LA theater scene.
For Hader, the best stories told are the ones that can blend the improbability of reality in such a way that it almost seems unbelievable:
“When you watch movies, and you grow up on movies, you kind of have a set amount of attitudes and behaviors that you see played on screen. And when you read non -fiction, or watch some sort of documentary, it gives you a whole set of behaviors that people usually don’t play with because they might seem totally implausible or insane—or it might just be deemed uninteresting to people backing movies, you know what I mean?
But I mean, sometimes that’s the truth. Sometimes people do something completely unrelatable, or act without conscience. And I like people who just go, ‘Well that’s the truth!’ Whatever you say about it, that’s the truth about the situation, and you can say that for people from Chekhov, to Martin Scorsese, to the South Park guys. They’re all just trying to get at, like, ‘Say what you will—but that’s the truth.’”
- Actors on Actors: Bill Hader and Jason Bateman Talk Auditions and More
- We Learn 'How to American' with Silicon Valley's Jimmy O. Yang
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Cast, Creative Talk Feminism, Identity; Tease Crossover with “Witchy Shows” - October 21, 2018
- American Horror Story: Apocalypse Season 8, Episode 7 ‘Traitor’: Cordelia Recruits More Magic - October 21, 2018
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 13, Episode 8 ‘Charlie’s Home Alone’: Charlie Channels His Inner “Culkin” (PREVIEW) - October 21, 2018
- Heathers Season 1: Your Guide to Paramount Network’s 5-Night “Binge Event” - October 19, 2018
- Kidding Season 1, Episode 7 ‘Kintsugi’: “Mr. Pickles-san” Pays a Visit (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018