Never fear, Riverdale fans — this Sabrina series news does NOT affect your show over on The CW. But it looks like Greg Berlanti is bringing his Archie Comics offshoot TV series Sabrina over to Netflix, which has already ordered two seasons.
Originally developed for The CW, Sabrina was planned to be a companion for Riverdale airing sometime in the 2018-2019 season, and would follow Sabrina the teenage witch. You may recall there being a series about the character back in the ’90s, the title character played by Melissa Joan Hart.
Just this year, the character’s comic was relaunched with a more dark modern horror bent than the talking cat teen comedy we’ve seen previously.
The series is already being described by The Hollywood Reporter (who broke the Netflix-series news) as being something akin to “Rosemary’s Baby and The Exorcist“, with Sabrina wrestling to reconcile her dual nature as a half-witch, half-mortal while fighting the evil forces that threaten her, her family, and the daylight world humans inhabit.
THR goes on to say their sources say the two-season order is for 10 episodes apiece, and that Riverdale showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa wrote the script for the pilot.
No word yet on casting for the title role, or whether we’ll get another Salem.
- The Exorcist Showrunner Jeremy Slater Ain't Got Time for Twitter Homophobes
- Netflix Officially Orders 3rd Season of Stranger Things
- The Umbrella Academy: Netflix Finalizes the Hargreeves Family
- Mindhunter Season 2 Officially Confirmed by Netflix
- Bryan Fuller and Michael Green Exit American Gods as Showrunners
- Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina #9 Delayed Until Well Into 2018
- Riverdale Revealed: The Archie Comics Panel At New York Comic Con 2017
- ‘Outlander’ Announces Details, Guests for NYCC Panel - August 21, 2018
- Let’s Talk About ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ Season 15 Episode 11 - August 20, 2018
- Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’ Showrunner Responds to Script Leak - August 20, 2018
- Emmy Nominee Ann Dowd Talks Aunt Lydia from ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ - August 20, 2018
- Netflix Renews Emmy Nominated Series ‘GLOW’ for Season 3 - August 20, 2018