There isn’t much information about this news yet, but it looks like showrunners on Starz’s American Gods Bryan Fuller and Michael Green are leaving the series.
Variety sounded the alarm, stating the pair are said to be “departing after clashing with producer FremantleMedia over budget and creative direction” on season 2 of the Starz series. They go on to say that the possible pushing for an increase to the series’ budget for season two may have also played a part in the decision, and that “sources close to the production said that the per-episode budget for American Gods season two already nearly $10 million.”
This isn’t the first time Fuller has had issues like this with a series he developed. He was originally the creative force behind getting CBS’s Star Trek: Discovery out of spacedoc. The story goes that he left STD over massive creative differences, and the siren song of Starz and American Gods. The series was greenlit for a second season after the pilot episode aired.
Both Green and Fuller do have other projects to focus on right now, although it’s disheartening to know the creative forces for such a lush visual series are departing. Green is working on the Netflix drama Raising Dion currently, with reportedly an additional tv series on the horizon. Apple’s upcoming Amazing Stories has Fuller on board, and theoretically it’ll be taking more of his attention now.
- Bryan Fuller Exits Apple's 'Amazing Stories' Reboot
- Gillian Anderson Is Not Coming Back for American Gods Season 2
- Tarantino Shares His Star Trek Idea with J.J. Abrams; Writer's Room Forming
- Netflix Orders 2 Seasons of 'Riverdale' Offshoot 'Sabrina'
- Lee Pace Talks Revolt, Broadway, And Halt And Catch Fire
- Neil Gaiman's Lips Are Sealed On Top Secret Anansi Boys Project
- Before They Were Gods: Our Halloween Edition With Ricky Whittle
- Fuller And Green Discuss American Gods, Representation, And Season 2
- A BC October: Bryan Fuller On 'Hannibal' Murder NBC Wouldn't Allow
- Steven Spielberg, Bryan Fuller Rebooting 'Amazing Stories' For Apple
- Next Year's American Gods, How Close The New Hellboy Movie Is To The Comics, And More From Dark Horse At NYCC 2017
- Disneyland Getting Marvel Area, Bug’s Life Area Is Closing - March 20, 2018
- David Duchovny Doing Twitter Q & A Right Now- ‘The X-Files’, ‘Californication’ and More- - March 20, 2018
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle’s Gag Reel is Almost Better Than the Movie - March 20, 2018
- Bad Lip Reading Releases New Song ‘It’s Not A Moon’ - March 19, 2018
- Classic Disney Film Lady and the Tramp to Get Live-Action Remake Treatment - March 19, 2018