With only a week to go before Netflix premieres Steven Soderbergh‘s (Sex, Lies and Videotape, The Knick) new seven-part original limited western series Godless, the streaming service has released a new trailer spotlighting widower and town outcast Alice Fletcher (Michelle Dockery). As we can see below, Fletcher doesn’t seem all that impressed by Frank Griggin’s (Jeff Daniels) “stone cold” reputation (Deadline: Hollywood):
“A ruthless outlaw terrorizes the West in search of a former member of his gang, who’s found a new life in a quiet town populated only by women.”
Soderbergh’s dark and gritty western-revenge series features Daniels (Steve Jobs) as notorious criminal Frank Griffin, on a mission of personal revenge against Roy Goode (Jack O’Donnell) for betraying Griffin and his men. On the run from men he once rode with and who are now out to kill him, Goode seeks refuge at the home of widower and town outcast Alice Fletcher (Dockery) in the isolated, female-governed mining town of La Belle, N.M.
As Griffin and his men make their way to La Belle for a final confrontation with Goode, the town bands together to make a final stand against the murderous gang in a lawless western frontier.
Godless marks Daniels’s first television appearance since 2014, when he appeared as Will McAvoy in HBO’s critically praised and award-winning series The Newsroom. It’s also Netflix’s first original venture into the western genre, though certainly not its last. The streaming giant will also serve as the home for The Coen Brothers‘ new western anthology series The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, starring James Franco (The Deuce) and Tim Blake Nelson (O Brother, Where Art Thou?).
For his part, Soderbergh has been venturing out of his self-imposed “retirement” to make Logan Lucky, starring Channing Tatum (Foxcatcher) and Adam Driver (Star Wars: The Force Awakens); and Ocean’s Eight, an all-female spin-off of his original Ocean’s series starring Cate Blanchett (Thor: Ragnarok), Anne Hathaway (The Dark Knight Rises) and singer Rihanna (This Is The End). In January 2018, Soderbergh will premiere his interactive limited series Mosaic on HBO.
- Heathers Season 1: Your Guide to Paramount Network’s 5-Night “Binge Event” - October 19, 2018
- Kidding Season 1, Episode 7 ‘Kintsugi’: “Mr. Pickles-san” Pays a Visit (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- Charmed s01e02 ‘Let This Mother Out’: Can The Vera Sisters Trust Harry Greenwood? (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 13, Episode 7: ‘The Gang Does a Clip Show’ as Only They Can (REVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9, Episode 3 ‘Warning Signs’: Saviors Want Answers from “The Widow” (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018