This week is probably not a good week to be an EA Games employee, as the company is receiving massive fan backlash over Star Wars: Battlefront II‘s problematic character unlocking system. Just to play catch up: It was revealed by users on Reddit who got the game in advance that it will take over 40 hours of gameplay to unlock all of the characters from the game. So that great fight you want to have between Darth Maul and Han Solo is going to take a while. Obviously, fans were pissed, which led EA Games to issues this statement about the situation, which flew about as far as a dead bird with fans.
That leads us to yesterday, where another EA response was issued, which received even more negativity than before. The opening statement says everything you need to know about the game in one sentence.
Our goal involves creating a compelling progression path for all of our players. There’s a lot of content at launch with even more coming via live service, and we’ll continuously adjust our progression mechanics to give players a sense of accomplishment as they explore all of Battlefront 2.
In other words, not only does this confirm reports that the primary storyline of the game can be beaten in under 10 hours, but EA’s response to getting more gameplay out of it from players was to proverbially “nickel and dime” their time in multiplayer to unlock everything they want. Depending on the website and forum you visit today, you either see total outrage over the system in place, or writers asking EA to fix the system while they have a chance. But considering the game is finished and coming out on November 17th, the chances of any changes occurring in the next 72 hours are slim at best. Maybe down the road they might do a patch, but it’s unlikely at this point that Star Wars: Battlefront II will change from their current plan EA has in place.
- EA Games Suspends Purchases In 'Star Wars: Battlefront II'
- More Reveals Within The 'Star Wars: Battlefront II' Launch Trailer
- EA & Dice Fix Their 'Star Wars: Battlefront II' Crate System
- EA Responds To Even More Fan Concerns Over Battlefront II's Microtransactions
- Get A Look At The 'Star Wars: Battlefront II' Special Edition PS4
- You're Getting Less Than Ten Hours Of Story From 'Star Wars: Battlefront II'
- Nathan Fillion Stars in an Uncharted Fan Film - July 16, 2018
- SEGA Releases Retro Game Trailer for Sonic Mania Plus - July 16, 2018
- People Are Still Finding Secrets in Silent Hill 2 Several Years Later - July 16, 2018
- System Shock Reboot Gets an Update from the Developers - July 16, 2018
- EA Games Planning a Battlefield V Beta Sometime in September - July 16, 2018