Halloween is coming back to the big screen next October. The film is co-written by Danny McBride, and over the weekend he gave some more insight into how they are reviving Michael Myers yet again. In speaking with Yahoo Movies, he talked about getting Jamie Lee Curtis involved, and a little about their approach in where this film relates to the rest of the franchise.
Which is to say, it ignores most of it.
“We’re kind of ignoring all the films past the first one,” he says. “It picks up after the first one, but it’s sort of an alternate reality. It’s as if the first Halloween ended in a slightly different way.”
Hmm…right off the bat I have an issue with that phrasing. The originals ending is iconic. Michael is finally confronted by Dr. Loomis, who shoots him multiple times as he falls off a balcony. When he goes to look, Michael is gone, confirming that he is the boogeyman after all. It is one of the most iconic endings in all of horror. So what would a slightly different version of that be? Also: if we are ignoring the series from 3-up, fine. But it is established in Halloween 2 that Laurie is a Myers. Is that thrown out the window as well? Then why is Jamie coming back? To reveal that again? Because that would be strange.
Speaking of Laurie, McBride was also asked about bringing back Jamie Lee Curtis again:
We pitched to Carpenter, and he was into it, which kind of blew David and me away, but I still think nobody was really talking about Jamie. … I think everyone was kind of on the mindset of it’d be a grab to get her, but no one really knew if we would be able to. So Dave and I just busted our ass on this script to really make that Laurie Strode character something she wouldn’t be able to say no to. When we finished the script, we sent it to her, and she said she was in. So we just flipped out. We were over the moon about her involvement.”
Curtis being back is very interesting to me. Maybe the most interesting part. As a huge fan of the entire series, H20 was not the worst by far, but it also was not Laurie’s shining moment as a character. And the way they killed her off in the atrocious Resurrection was terrible. Getting her back to get that taste out of our mouths is a great thing. The sister part maybe being retconned is strange, but I guess I am willing to roll with it.
In the end, they are saying the right things. McBride and David Gordon Green have succeeded in getting me excited about my favorite horror franchise again. After the Rob Zombie films, I was not sure that could ever be the case. He said as much about fans of the series:
“I just hope that we don’t f*** it up and piss people off. This is such a diehard fan base. You don’t want horror fans being your enemies because they show up at your house with masks on,” McBride says. “We are diehard fans of Halloween. We’re watching all the sequels and where things have taken left turns here and there that maybe bites for fans, and at least trying to deliver what we would have wanted to see. Hopefully that will line up with most fans.”
- Jamie Lee Curtis Dons a Wig for 'Halloween', Production Begins on New Film
- Happy Birthday to John Carpenter, the Very Much Alive Master of Horror
- Mondo Soundtrack Release Of The Week: Pixar's Ratatouille
- IGN Issues Statement Regarding Alleged Treatment Of 2 Employees
- Kevin Bacon And Aldis Hodge Team Up For Showtime Drama City On A Hill
- Lord Of The Rings Receives Multi-Season Series Deal From Amazon
- Wonder Woman Dazzles In Her Justice League Hot Toys Figure
- Report: Sony Developing Spider-Man Spinoff For Morbius the Living Vampire
- Christopher Nolan Reveals How Steven Spielberg Helped With Dunkirk
- Kevin Feige Talks Future Marvel Movies And Filming Avengers: Infinity War
- DC Comics Vs Working Women Of Faith Over 'Killing Wonder Women' Self-Help Trademark
- 9 Women Allege Sexual Harassment Against Lars Von Trier's Production Company Zentropa
- Deadwood Movie Production Start May Happen Next Year
- George Miller And Warner Brothers Going To Court Over 'Mad Max: Fury Road'
- Justice League: Ezra Miller Wants The Injustice League And Gal Gadot Wants Cheetah In The Sequel
- Ninja-K #1 Review: A Strong Start To A Super-Spy Action Adventure
- Godzilla Gets a Humongous New S.H. Monsterarts Figure - May 18, 2018
- Doctor Strange Avengers: Infinity War Hot Toy Coming in 2019 - May 18, 2018
- Pacific Rim Collectors Will Want This Gipsy Danger Bust from Diamond Select Toys - May 18, 2018
- Diamond Select Toys Releasing New Deadpool, Cable, and Domino Statues This Summer - May 18, 2018
- Deadpool 2 Review: Come for Deadpool, Stay for Cable and Domino [Spoiler Free] - May 18, 2018