Brian Herbert, son of the late, great creator of the ‘Dune’ universe Frank Herbert (bless the Maker and his passing), took up the mantle of finishing his father’s legacy. He’s since become the written voice of Arrakis, continuing the saga of House Atreides and the Fremen, as well as several of his own titles and works.
Announced as a possibility last year and confirmed this year, Legendary Pictures is working on a reboot Dune film with Oscar-nominated director Denis Villeneuve on board to direct.
Today on his personal Twitter account, Brian posted that the first draft of the screenplay from Eric Roth (Forrest Gump, Munich) is completed.
We have the first draft of the DUNE screenplay from Eric Roth. I am working on it day and night, consulting closely with Kevin. We expect to send our comments to Legendary by this weekend. Lots of good stuff in the script, and things to be tweaked. I’m happy to be involved. pic.twitter.com/LL9zH7cXiN
— Brian Herbert (@DuneAuthor) November 9, 2017
It is still very early (obviously) in the process to start thinking about things such as casting, but knowing Herbert’s involvement from the get-go will make this production different than the previous versions of Dune.
There was the much-maligned (but my personal favorite thus far) David Lynch version, which gets a lot of hate for its changing of certain details revolving around the hand-to-hand Benne Gesserit fighting style into a voice modular phase weapon.
There was also the Syfy version, which also took several liberties with character introductions and placements too early in the story (*cough* Irulan at the freaking party on Caladan *cough*). It is widely regarded as the “most accurate” to date, however. The popularity prompting a sequel miniseries, Children of Dune, to be produced by the cable network.
We’ll let you know as more information about this becomes available; hopefully early casting rumors aren’t that far away.
- Denis Villeneuve On His 'Dune' Version And Script
- 7 Lord Of The Rings Shows We Want From Amazon Studios
- If You're An Evil Dead Fan, This Ashy Slashy Puppet Is A Must!
- Director List For 'Bond 25' Getting Shorter, New Favorite Revealed
- Denis Villeneuve In Talks To Direct Cleopatra For Sony
- Brian Herbert Adapting Dune Into A Three Part "Faithful" Graphic Novel - With More To Come
- Denis Villeneuve's "Dune": Zoe Saldana Wants In
- It's Official: The Dune Reboot Has Found Its Director
- “Artemis”: An Evening With Andy Weir At Kepler’s Books - November 21, 2017
- Details Emerge From Disney/Pixar In Alleged John Lasseter Misconduct - November 21, 2017
- DC Digital Just Ordered A Harley Quinn Animated Series - November 20, 2017
- If You Miss Carrie Fisher Like We Do, You Should Watch This Video - November 20, 2017
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Takes Over Entertainment Weekly’s December Issue - November 19, 2017