Activision Blizzard is a massive conglomerate of game publishing so of course their third quarter results were pretty solid. Overwatch and Hearthstone continue to be fan-favorites and draw in money off their micro-transactions, and of course Destiny 2 launched on console in time to hit the report, which netted a record turnout for Activision Blizzard in terms of year-to-date turnout and quarterly results. The company netted $1.618 Billion USD for their third quarter, which was higher than the expected turnout of $1.385 Billion. The major reasons for the massive turnout were the release of Destiny 2, Hearthstone‘s Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion, and the revenues generated by mobile publisher King which sits under the Activision Blizzard corporate umbrella.
So despite any trouble that might have occured thanks to Destiny 2‘s increased micro-transaction prevalence, well, it clearly didn’t affect Activision Blizzard’s bottom line. And with Destiny 2 being the top-selling game to date this year, it’s obvious that the current micro-transaction model Activision uses isn’t going anywhere.
In the press release put out alongside the quarterly results report, CEO of Activision Blizzard Bobby Kotick said “This was another strong quarter. We delivered record results and impressive engagement. With the recently released Destiny 2 off to a strong start, King’s position as the number one mobile publisher in the US, our release of Call of Duty: WWII, and the upcoming launch of the Overwatch League, we have great momentum as we approach the end of the year.” Kotick added, “By investing in our franchises and communities, we continue to make progress on our efforts to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment,” which is to say that the model of micro-transactions and live games is the best way to make a profit in gaming in 2017. Activision Blizzard has high hopes for their end of year numbers, as the hype train for Call of Duty: WWII has been long and heated. Early reactions to the game are positive, so that leads some credibility to Activision’s hopes as well.
- Blizzard Outline Details For Hearthstone's Next Expansion, "Kobolds & Catacombs"
- Call Of Duty: WWII Getting Extra Patches To Fix Issues
- Bungie Is Preparing 'Destiny 2' For 4K & HDR Upgrades
- Activision Won't Reveal Xbox One X Plans For 'Destiny 2'
- Check Out The New 'Overwatch' League Uniform Skins
- Getting More Backstory On Moira From 'Overwatch'
- For Honor & Glory: Check Out Reinhardt's New 'Overwatch' Video
- Victorian-Fantasy XCOM Alder’s Blood Launches on Kickstarter - February 24, 2018
- Capcom Reveals Monster Hunter: World’s Event Roadmap - February 24, 2018
- Next Week’s DLC for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 Adds Ultra Instinct Goku - February 24, 2018
- Twitch Studios Announces Premiere Date for Game Show ‘Stream On’ - February 24, 2018
- Fear Effect Sedna to Release in March on PC and Console - February 24, 2018