We got some new information about Star Wars: The Last Jedi today. From an Official Japanese Star Wars website (via Star Wars News Net) we got some new character descriptions and some of these tease story details we didn’t know yet.
- Rey: Rey, now aware of the awakening power of the Force, travels to the hidden world of Ahch-To. She is looking for Luke Skywalker, who is the last Jedi Master in the Galaxy and the last hope for the Resistance. Rey was hoping to find a legendary hero – she instead found a man who disagrees with her expectations.
- Finn: Finn, a former operative of the First Order, previously dedicated himself to the cause of fighting for the Resistance continues the fight. Now, he’s at a crossroads over his role in the war.
- Poe: Now that the conflict between the First Order and the Resistance has escalated into total war, Poe is a shining as a leader of a courageous flying battalion. But while he is brave and a skilled pilot, both the First Order and the Resistance alike are starting to fear his dedication to the war effort.
- BB-8: A cute ball-shaped droid faithful to Poe Dameron who provided data key to finding Luke Skywalker.
- Kylo Ren: Humiliated by his defeat at Rey’s hands, Kylo Ren redoubles his efforts to crush the Resistance. However, although his powers in the Dark Side continue to increase, it is still not enough to impress his shadowy mentor – First Order Supreme Leader Snoke.
- Jedi Master Luke Skywalker: After his attempt to rebuild the Jedi Order was ruined, Luke Skywalker disappeared from the Galaxy in search of answers, leading him to the planet Ahch-To. Though he seems intent to live out a modest lifestyle away from the war, the Resistance needs the hero who defeated Darth Vader to stand a chance against the First Order.
- General Leia Organa: Leia Organa, whose son betrayed her and fell to the Dark Side, is leading the struggling Resistance fleet. General Leia takes advantage of her decades of experience in order to halt the First Order’s advances.
- Supreme Leader Snoke: Snoke, the shadowy leader of the First Order, finally emerges from the shadows to lead the First Order to victory after the destruction of Starkiller Base.
- General Armitage Hux: Although Starkiller Base has been destroyed, the New Republic’s leadership was eradicated by the superweapon’s only firing at Hux’s command. From the bridge of the Finalizer, Hux issues commands to pursue the Resistance.
- Captain Phasma: Captain Phasma, known for her characteristic metallic armor, escaped from Starkiller Base shortly before it was destroyed. Taking command of the Stormtrooper Corps, Phasma is determined to destroy the Resistance and settle a private grudge.
- Chewbacca: Millennium Falcon co-pilot Chewbacca, a faithful navigator, is now accompanying Rey on her quest to find Luke Skywalker.
- R2-D2: A droid with various abilities, ranging from maneuvering of spacecraft to decryption. R2-D2 has slept ever since Luke parted ways from the droid, but the Astromech was able to reactivate and lead the Resistance to Luke’s hiding place.
- C-3PO: The ever-worrying protocol droid C-3PO is more anxious than ever with the threat of the First Order on the horizon, but he continues to serve General Leia Organa faithfully.
- Maz Kanata: After Maz lost her castle, she has been forced to take a more active role and take advantage of her ties to the criminal underworld. She will provide crucial assistance to the Resistance in their fight against First Order, making use of every connection she has.
The big one here is about Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac) and how his tactics of going against the First Order might be making his allies nervous for Star Wars: The Last Jedi. As we saw in Rogue One just because someone is a “good guy” doesn’t mean they aren’t doing horrible things. For all of the tie fighters Poe is shooting out of the sky there is a person in there. The moral grey area of the Alliance and the Resistance is something that would be fun to explore.
We also get another hint as to what Maz Kanata’s (Lupita Nyong’o) role is going to be. We already knew that she was going to have a smaller part in this movie but this seems to confirm that she is the one that pushes Finn (John Boyega) and Rose (Kelly Marie Tran) in the right direction for their mission. Maybe she’s the one who tells them to seek out DJ (Benicio del Toro).
Summary: Having taken her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015), Rey continues her epic journey with Finn, Poe and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the saga, Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi, directed by Rian Johnson, stars Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Mark Hamill, Oscar Isaac, Carrie Fisher, and Adam Driver. It will be released on December 15th.