Raina Telgemeier is the most popular comic book creator in the USA today. But not, it seems, for everyone.
Her graphic novel bestseller Drama, about an adolescent theatre troupe, was banned this year from the entirety of the Franklin Independent School District in Texas.
The comic features a side story with two male characters who are attracted to each other and, as a result, has attracted similar attention in the past. And Texas does seem to have it in for this comic, as the comic was banned from Chapel Hill Elementary in Mount Pleasant, Texas in 2014 and from Kirbyville Junior High in Texas in 2016.
Callie loves theater. And while she would totally try out for her middle school’s production of Moon over Mississippi, she can’t really sing. Instead she’s the set designer for the drama department’s stage crew, and this year she’s determined to create a set worthy of Broadway on a middle-school budget. But how can she, when she doesn’t know much about carpentry, ticket sales are down, and the crew members are having trouble working together? Not to mention the onstage AND offstage drama that occurs once the actors are chosen. And when two cute brothers enter the picture, things get even crazier!
The ACLU and the CBLDF also report that individual schools had challenges against the manga series Black Butler by Yana Toboso and the manga based on James Patterson’s Maximum Ride books, adapted and illustrated by NaRae Lee.
But that although school districts are required by law to respond to Freedom of Information Act requests, only 44% actually did so in time for their 2016-2017 report. Which could mean there may well be considerably more examples as well.
- Lying In The San Diego Gutters – 27 Articles From Comic-Con Wednesday - July 19, 2018
- Glitchwatch on Amazon Kindle DC Super Hero Girls: Out of the Bottle - July 18, 2018
- WonderCon Statistics at San Diego Comic-Con 2018 - July 18, 2018
- Deadpool Toilet Seat Covers from SDCC Hotels Are Being Sold for $40 Each on eBay - July 18, 2018
- Joshua Middleton’s Cover to Batgirl #25 as Tom Derenick Joins the Team - July 18, 2018