Raina Telgemeier is the most popular comic book creator in the USA today. But not, it seems, for everyone.
Her graphic novel bestseller Drama, about an adolescent theatre troupe, was banned this year from the entirety of the Franklin Independent School District in Texas.
The comic features a side story with two male characters who are attracted to each other and, as a result, has attracted similar attention in the past. And Texas does seem to have it in for this comic, as the comic was banned from Chapel Hill Elementary in Mount Pleasant, Texas in 2014 and from Kirbyville Junior High in Texas in 2016.
Callie loves theater. And while she would totally try out for her middle school’s production of Moon over Mississippi, she can’t really sing. Instead she’s the set designer for the drama department’s stage crew, and this year she’s determined to create a set worthy of Broadway on a middle-school budget. But how can she, when she doesn’t know much about carpentry, ticket sales are down, and the crew members are having trouble working together? Not to mention the onstage AND offstage drama that occurs once the actors are chosen. And when two cute brothers enter the picture, things get even crazier!
The ACLU and the CBLDF also report that individual schools had challenges against the manga series Black Butler by Yana Toboso and the manga based on James Patterson’s Maximum Ride books, adapted and illustrated by NaRae Lee.
But that although school districts are required by law to respond to Freedom of Information Act requests, only 44% actually did so in time for their 2016-2017 report. Which could mean there may well be considerably more examples as well.
- Northguard Season 2 #1 and #2 Both Published Tomorrow – Here’s a Preview of Both - January 23, 2018
- 24-Page Preview of Telepathetic #1, Another of Sitcomics’ 64-Page $3.99 Comics - January 23, 2018
- Titan Comics to Republish Original Deadline Tank Girl Strips in Colour - January 23, 2018
- A Sneek Peak at McFarlane Toys’s New Stranger Things Ghostbusters Action Figures - January 23, 2018
- DC Comics April 2018 Catalog – Solicits From Action Comics #1000 to Splitting Batman In Two… - January 22, 2018