Marvel has been running a variety of “How To Draw” variant covers for their title by Chip Zdarsky. They are, to a cover, hilarious, as Zdarsky takes the reader through a number of stages of drawing a character’s face in the classic How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way style that go off on an unexpected tangent.
But tomorrow’s version of The Mighty Thor #700 may have caused problems.
Not the cover itself, which is as hilarious as ever. But the back cover of every issue with this variant on the front.
Rather a standard back cover, instead it features the back cover of what should have been the exclusive variant cover for Spider-Gwen #25 for UnknownComicBooks.com, an online comic store who will have ordered thousands of copies and have paid for the exclusive privilege.
Here’s what it should have been the back of.
And all retailers carrying this Chip Zdarsky cover now have a full back page ad for a rival online store, with a URL front and centre… okay, well, back and centre. Certainly larger and in a far more prominent placement than Marvel would have allowed if it were an ad, to spare other retailer concerns.
Before retailers ire is raised, may I suggest a recall notice? It’s only one of the variant covers, not the whole print run…
Here are the front covers and back covers in question, side by side from a friendly retailer.
- From Hilda to Esther – Walking Through Notts Comic Con 2018 - October 21, 2018
- The Daily LITG – 21st October 2018 – Happy Birthday Paul Levitz - October 21, 2018
- The Other History Of The DC Universe by John Ridley Vs Glory Scroll/Black Reign by Michael Davis - October 20, 2018
- Why 5 Kid Comics of California May Be Closing Down - October 20, 2018
- Gary Reed’s Final Comic, Savants, to See Print in 2019 - October 20, 2018