Comic book creators have appeared on The Simpsons before, including Alan Moore, Dan Clowes, Art Spiegelman and Neil Gaiman. But what about the women?
Well, comic book creators Alison Bechdel, Marjane Satrapi, and Roz Chast guest-starred as themselves in last week’s episode of The Simpsons, called Springfield Splendor, referencing Harvey Pekar‘s autobiographical comic American Splendor.
Marge and Lisa Simpson created a comic book together about Lisa’s life that had become a surprise hit, Sad Girl.
Selling out in the local comic book store…
Which meant a trip to the local comic con.
And appeared on a fictitious non-traditional comic con panel, Chix With Pix, along with other female autobiographical comic book creators. And just before the White Men In Comics panel.
With a non-traditional comic con audience.
And on the panel, Alison Bechdel, creator of the Bechdel Test which Marge Simpsons instantly fails…
…may now be better known for her graphic novel and memoir Fun Home.
Marjane Satrapi for her graphic novels Persepolis about growing up during the Iranian Revolution.
And Chast created the memoir of her parents’ final years called Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant? All have won numerous awards.
If nothing else, it does portray a different picture of comics and comic cons away from the stereotype and more towards, well, New York Comic Con, actually…
And yeah, the writer gets the glory while the artist gets pushed to the side…
- J. Scott Campbell Art for Upcoming X-Men Black Magneto Comic to Be Announced at San Diego - July 16, 2018
- Hellboy Celebrates 25 Years of San Diego Comic-Cons - July 16, 2018
- Valiant Fans Express Financial Worries Over Chinese Owners DMG Entertainment - July 16, 2018
- Duncan Jones’s Comic Book Movie Confirmed: Rogue Trooper of 2000AD - July 16, 2018
- Amazon Prime Day Hits the UK – Here Are Some Deals to Keep Your Eye On - July 16, 2018