Comic book creators have appeared on The Simpsons before, including Alan Moore, Dan Clowes, Art Spiegelman and Neil Gaiman. But what about the women?
Well, comic book creators Alison Bechdel, Marjane Satrapi, and Roz Chast guest-starred as themselves in last week’s episode of The Simpsons, called Springfield Splendor, referencing Harvey Pekar‘s autobiographical comic American Splendor.
Marge and Lisa Simpson created a comic book together about Lisa’s life that had become a surprise hit, Sad Girl.
Selling out in the local comic book store…
Which meant a trip to the local comic con.
And appeared on a fictitious non-traditional comic con panel, Chix With Pix, along with other female autobiographical comic book creators. And just before the White Men In Comics panel.
With a non-traditional comic con audience.
And on the panel, Alison Bechdel, creator of the Bechdel Test which Marge Simpsons instantly fails…
…may now be better known for her graphic novel and memoir Fun Home.
Marjane Satrapi for her graphic novels Persepolis about growing up during the Iranian Revolution.
And Chast created the memoir of her parents’ final years called Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant? All have won numerous awards.
If nothing else, it does portray a different picture of comics and comic cons away from the stereotype and more towards, well, New York Comic Con, actually…
And yeah, the writer gets the glory while the artist gets pushed to the side…
- Comic Store In Your Future – Be Thankful For My Little Pony - November 23, 2017
- Would You Like Your Monsters Unleashed #8 Mixed With A Little Luke Cage #167? - November 23, 2017
- Vault Comics Launches Return Of The Graveyard Gang By Eliot Rahal And Felipe Cunha In February 2018 Solicits - November 23, 2017
- Zenescope Launches Philadelphia Superhero Series, The Musketeers, In February 2018 Solicits - November 23, 2017
- Another 200 Graphic Novels And TPBs Liquidated By DC Comics To Retailers – G To W - November 23, 2017