Hugo Award-nominated writer Saladin Ahmed, currently writing Marvel’s Black Bolt series, has his first original comic book work planned from Boom! Studios for January 2018.
With artist Sami Kivelä, Abbott is about a black female journalist oin 1970s Detroit, Elena Abbott, who investigates a series of grisly crimes the police have ignored—crimes she recognizes to be the work of a dark magical force—the same force that murdered her husband ten years ago. As she looks for clues, Abbott puts herself in the crosshairs of a mysterious power out for more blood, all the while navigating a harsh social environment that’s structured to protect the powerful, and prevent access to change.
“Abbott is a brilliant, tenacious reporter covering everything from organized crime to police brutality, but she’s a shell of her former self,” says Ahmed. “She knows she won’t be whole until she unravels the mystery of her husband’s murder.”
Born in Detroit, Ahmed had been wanting to write a story set in his hometown, especially during a pivotal moment in its history.
“A cast of hippie wizards, black revolutionaries, and cranky newsmen also appear in Abbott, but the real co-star of the book is the city of Detroit,” says Ahmed. “Set in 1972—the year Nixon was re-elected and Motown Records left for Los Angeles—Abbott takes place against a backdrop of white flight and black renaissance in Detroit.”
Ahmed has received critical acclaim for his first comics project, Black Bolt for Marvel, which launched this past summer. Abbott is his first original comic series. Sami Kivelä has also been enjoying critical success with his recent Black Mask title, Beautiful Canvas.
“I’m very excited to bring Abbott and her world alive,” says Kivelä. “She’s a fascinating character, and I can’t wait for people to explore ’70s Detroit and its shadowy secrets with her.”
Abbott #1 has a main cover illustrated by Taj Tenfold (Sisters of Sorrow) and a variant cover by Micaela Dawn (Victor LaValle’s Destroyer). And out in January.
- Caster, A New Comic (And More) From Common And Jason Masters - November 19, 2017
- Cartoonist Imprisoned In Equatorial Guinea For Two Months Now - November 19, 2017
- Line Webtoon Launches Cursed, Rob, And Firebrand Season 2 From John Barrowman, Tommy Lee Edwards, Claudia Aguirre, Erika Lewis, And More - November 19, 2017
- London’s Westminster Reference Library To Celebrate The Great And The Gagged - November 19, 2017
- Lazarus, The Immortal Man: A Comic For Depressives, By Depressives - November 19, 2017