Wolfenstein II may be a game set in a world where the Nazis won the Second World War, but that doesn’t mean the Wolfenstein II social media department or developer Machine Games are willing to accept Nazi sympathizers in their midst. While the game could easily be seen as something of a Nazi sympathizing vehicle at first glance, what with the whole ‘Nazis take over the world’ setup – the actual story of the game is about fight to get rid of the Nazi regime, one punch at a time.
— Wolfenstein (@wolfenstein) October 15, 2017
And of course, the short video accompanying the statement is a shot of the game’s protagonist punching a Nazi soldier in the face. Which does bring up the Nazi Punching debate from earlier this year, after a man punched noted White Supremacist Richard Spencer on camera and the world reacted in a variety of ways. However, things boiled down to the ‘yes, punch Nazis’ and ‘no, Nazis need hugs’ camps. Despite both Warren Ellis and Chris Evans being on the Nazi-punching side, with Captain America writer Nick Spencer being on the opposite end of the spectrum, the video game camp has been pretty clear so far.
Activision and Sledgehammer Games returned the Call of Duty franchise to the Second World War for their 2017 installment, and now we have Wolfenstein II flat out endorsing punching Nazis in the face. It’s nice to have those things cleared up. And really, video games are the ultimate in wish fulfillment, and who doesn’t want to punch literal Nazis in the face?
Naturally, the reactions to this tweet have already been pretty much overwhelmingly positive, with a couple of ubiquitous Inglorious Basterds gifs in response.
Now you’re just playing with them. pic.twitter.com/Upi7XzZtAt
— BWT (@fish22dry) October 15, 2017
- New DLC Info Revealed In Latest 'Call of Duty WWII' Trailer
- Activision Throws Down Another Microtransaction Patent
- The 'Wolfenstein II' Timer Is Counting Down To A Release
- 'Wolfenstein II' Doesn't Have Multiplayer Because Of The Story
- Batman Gets A Rebirth Statue From Kotobukiya
- The Launch Trailer For 'Wolfenstein II' Will Leave You Psyched
- Check Out The 'Call Of Duty: WWII' Live Action Trailer
- How Fortnite Eclipsed PUBG as the Biggest Gaming Phenomenon - April 19, 2018
- Realtalk: Where’s Our God of War Review? - April 19, 2018
- Blockchain Gaming, while the Current Fad, is Fated for Failure - April 19, 2018
- The CWL Pro League Stage One Finals Start Tomorrow - April 19, 2018
- Juggler Games’ My Memory of Us is Subtly Depressing - April 18, 2018