Since DC’s Legends of Tomorrow began, I’ve always had the feeling that Victor Garber‘s time on the show was limited. Each year he came back I was a little surprised. He has had a terrific Broadway career that has paralleled his film/TV one, and I always thought the stage would draw him back. Now Deadline is reporting rumors that Garber will be exiting this show this season.
Garber has been playing Professor Martin Stein since the show began, reprising the character he originated on The Flash Season 1. Though the network has not confirmed his departure, in September it was announced that Garber would return to Broadway to team with Bernadette Peters in headlining the Tony-winning revival of Hello Dolly!, replacing David Hyde Pierce and Bette Midler. Their run starts January 20th.
Doing seven or eight shows a week on Broadway and filming a television series 3,000 miles away is impossible. Watching last night’s season premiere laid the groundwork for the exit, as Stein’s daughter is pregnant and he was reluctant to return to the ship.
To quote the Deadline report:
“I hear Garber’s exit had been carefully planned ahead of time. After wrapping his run on the show, which should be shortly, Garber is expected to move back to New York to start preparing for Hello, Dolly! I hear he will remain series regular on the current third season of Legends Of Tomorrow though there are no current plans for him to return for further episodes. Still, with the time-travel nature of the superhero show, there is always a possibility for characters to be brought back.”
Now, if Garber is remaining a series regular, then there is a workaround. As we’ve seen in the sizzle reel, there is a Freaky Friday-style episode coming up where Garber and Franz Drameh switch bodies. Drameh plays Jefferson Jackson, the other half of Firestorm, the Nuclear Man. Since Drameh also plays Firestorm when they are combined, it is possible that he could get “stuck” in the Firestorm form for a while, leaving Garber stuck inside Jax’s head — meaning Garber could go into a studio and record voiceovers without having to fly to Vancouver.
If Garber is to exit the series, that would mean Jax would need another partner to team with or Firestorm would be gone. This could lead to a return of Robbie Amell as Ronnie Raymond. Again, the studio has made no comment at this point.
- UPDATE: Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross Cover The Halloween Theme. Listen Now!
- Stranger Things Teases A Final Trailer For Tomorrow To Celebrate Friday The 13th
- Stranger Things Comes Home With New Hasbro Board Games; Gear Up For Season 2!
- Black Lightning Season 1: Resurrection of a Hero Is Bad for Business - December 13, 2017
- Read Bettie Page #1 Free from Dynamite’s 2017 Blockbuster Holiday Bundle - December 12, 2017
- Exclusive Extended Previews: Sheena #4, Skin & Earth #6, and Hack/Slash vs. Vampirella #3 - December 12, 2017
- Shazam! Adds ‘Fresh Off the Boat’ Actor Ian Chen to Growing Cast - December 12, 2017
- Homeland Season 7: Carrie is Back in Washington D.C. - December 12, 2017