Coming from Boom! Studios in January, Planet Of The Apes: Ursus, by David F. Walker (Power Man & Iron Fist, War for the Planet of the Apes) and Christopher Mooneyham (Five Ghosts)—both longtime fans of the franchise—the series will follow the rise through the ranks of the ape who has hated (and feared) mankind the most, including what first brought him to the Forbidden Zone. This is the first project from Boom! Studios in 2018 as part of their yearlong celebration of 50th anniversary of Planet Of The Apes.
“I’m a lifelong Planet of the Apes fan, and when I was a kid, General Ursus terrified me,” says Walker of the character who first debuted in 1970’s Beneath the Planet of the Apes. “He came right out and said, ‘The only good human is a dead human,’ and that gave me nightmares. At the same time, I always wanted to know more about him, and as a writer, few things are more interesting than exploring what makes a villain tick.”
“Ursus, to me, is just an old soldier, with no more wars to fight,” adds Mooneyham. “He’s lost a lot, and given even more. He’s a super-prejudiced gorilla who’s just looking for a reason to keep on going. Personally, I think David has nailed Ursus’ character with this series, and I absolutely love that I get to help tell this story.”
Planet Of The Apes: Ursus features a main cover illustrated by Paolo Rivera (Daredevil), an intermix cover by Michael Allred (Silver Surfer), a subscription cover by Becca Carey (The Waves That Break), and a variant cover by the legendary Bob Larkin, presented in mock magazine cover format and virgin. This cover by Larkin, who illustrated over a dozen painted covers for Planet of the Apes magazine, was unused during the classic magazine run and has never been published before.
- Gerry Duggan and Mike Deodato, Creative Team for Infinite Countdown Prime #1 in February 2018 - December 13, 2017
- A Music Video Trailer for ML Miller and James Michael Whynot’s Gravetrancers #1, Out Today - December 13, 2017
- In Today’s Amazing Spider-Man #793, Ryan Stegman Does His Best Todd McFarlane Impersonation to Date - December 13, 2017
- Durham Red and Chopper Return to 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine - December 13, 2017
- The Making of a Fascist Batman in Today’s Detective Comics #970 (SPOILERS) - December 13, 2017