Star Wars: The Last Jedi released a new trailer…22 minutes ago now. By now you have seen it about 728 times (roughly). It was a great trailer, and leaves us with even more questions than answers. No doubt about that. But one thing is for sure: I think we are being taken for a ride.
Right from the start, we get Snoke speaking about finding someone and seeing “When I found you, I saw raw, untamed power. And beyond that, something truly special.” We are meant to think he is talking to Ben Solo aka Kylo Ren. I think he is talking to Rey. We know they meet (because of the end of the trailer), and we also know he has a great interest in her from Star Wars: Force Awakens.
We then get to see more of what is transpiring between Rey and Luke Skywalker on Ahch-To. Lots of lightsaber training and Rey describing to Luke how she has always felt something inside of her. She is begging Luke for help, but there is a slightly sinister edge in how she is asking. She cracks the ground, Luke looks panicked. Star Wars and a panicked scared Luke? Interesting.
And we are shown the Jedi Temple Luke was training students at in flames, his hand coming out of the rubble. “I’ve seen this raw strength only once before. It didn’t scare me enough then. It does now.” He is referring of course to the how Ben was lost to the Dark Side and the Knights of Ren laid waste to the temple. We also saw glimpses of that in Force Awakens, during Rey’s flashback. It looks like the flashbacks will continue in this film as well. That’s pretty cool. It is a little sad seeing Luke so distraught and afraid. At the end of Return of the Jedi, he is full of confidence and somewhat at peace. Not so much anymore.
Kylo is quite the pilot! Takes after his grandfather that way. We also hear him saying “Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. It’s the only way to become what you were meant to be.” He looks to me like he is struggling with what he did to his father at the end of the last film. We see him smash his helmet in an elevator. And while we are shown him gunning down fighters left and right, he gets target lock inside a ship and we are shown Leia. We are meant to think he is trying to decide if he should also murder his mother, but I don’t buy it. More misdirection.
Porgs are adorable. They make cute noises. Chewy may not have gotten a medal, but he has the cutest companion ever.
The coolest part of the trailer for me was Finn and Captain Phasma going toe to toe! Shown while a voiceover from Poe tells us that the Resistance is the spark that will light the fire that will burn the First Order down (he isn’t really around in this trailer. He will be with Leia a lot in this film, I think), they are going at each other hard. Interesting that they cut to a close-up of Phasma’s helmet. Finn is in his First Order disguise, so my guess is this takes place on or around Canto Bight.
What the hell is this thing?
After lots of money shots of space battles and such, we get to this. Rey and Snoke finally meet. Although again: I think this could be a red herring. We see what looks like Snoke using The Force on Rey. But what if she is letting him? Luke himself says in voiceover: “This isn’t going to go the way you think.” What if we get, as wrestling fans would say, a double turn?
The trailer ends with Rey asking someone to show her her place in all this. We then see Kylo extending his hand. What if she gets fed up with Luke and seeks out Snoke, mowing through Kylo and she willing submits to the dark side? What if Kylo retreats and seeks out Luke? What if that is why he was trying to find him for all that time the last film. Not to kill him, but to become his padawan again? And the last film in the Saga is Luke and Kylo trying to bring Rey back to the light and together they defeat Snoke? What if Porgs and that crystal dog up there eat everyone?
At this point, who knows. I will say that after seeing that trailer: nothing is as it seems. And Star Wars will never be the same.
- Former WhatCulture Wrestling Crew Debut "Cultaholic" In New Video
- Hot Toys' Rey Jedi Training Figure Looks Amazing — And Porgs!
- Rian Johnson Spoils Who The Last Jedi Is; But Not Really, Because He Already Had
- "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" Trailer Hits
- Nerd Food: Campbell Soup's Star Wars Display At New York Comic Con 2017
- Marvel Animation Presents Panel at NYCC
- Dark Ark #2 Booms On Retailers' Advance Reorders
- Chat, Play, Or Just Relax At The Retro Chill Area Of NYCC 2017
- Top 100 Comics And Graphic Novels Of September 2017 - How's About Harley?
- The Last Jedi Final Trailer And Tickets Drop Tomorrow During Monday Night Football
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, 8th October 2017 - "Marvel Legacy Branding Doesn't Seem To Have Made A Difference"
- IDW Working On Big Hero 6 Comic Series With Disney
- Robot Chicken Crew Talks 'Walking Dead' Special And More At NYCC 2017
- My Little Pony: The Movie Has Some Ridiculously Cool Toys Your Kids Will Want
- Hulu and Seth Rogen’s 'Future Man' Screens Pilot Episode for NYCC 2017
- Funko Round-Up: South Park, Black Panther, and Harleen Quinzel! - October 18, 2018
- Halloween Tracking For Opening Between $1 and $70 Million - October 18, 2018
- Manifest Gets Three More Episodes Tacked on to Season 1 - October 18, 2018
- Hot Toys Marvel Studios 10th Anniversary Concept Iron Man Coming Soon - October 18, 2018
- Listen to John Carpenter’s New Halloween Score in its Entirety! - October 18, 2018