It appears that 20th Century Fox putting their money where their mouth is. When Logan came out back in March, people were wondering if it was going to be one of the rare comic book movies to get some sort of awards recognition. That was a lot of talk, and March was a long way away from voting season. But according to Deadline, Fox’s awards campaign for Logan as a screener for the movie have ended up in Academy voter mailboxes.
A screener is a DVD sent to association voting critics for their end of the year and Oscar voting. Critics will often gets piles of these DVDs, but they don’t usually start to arrive until closer to the fall or even the winter.
The reason they are sending out Logan so early likely has something to do with the release date. Logan came out in March, and even September-released films can be too early for Oscar voters to remember they’ve seen your movie. That’s why all of the “Oscar bait” comes out in the same three-month period. Perhaps the idea was to send out the screeners early as well, so voters have to look at that DVD in their pile for several months.
Logan isn’t the only movie that came out months ago that’s being pushed for awards season. Get Out, still one of most profitable movies of the year, is also getting ready for its own campaign. Both of these movies are proof that you don’t have to release your awards season movie in the fall or winter, and that even “looked down-upon” genres like superhero or horror can be award contenders.
Summary: In the near future, a weary Logan cares for an ailing Professor X somewhere on the Mexican border. However, Logan’s attempts to hide from the world and his legacy are upended when a young mutant arrives, pursued by dark forces.
Logan, directed by James Mangold, stars Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Dafne Keen, Boyd Holbrook, and Stephen Merchant.
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World – Producer Brad Lewis Talks Wrapping the Trilogy at NYCC - October 14, 2018
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World – Jay Baruchel Talks Letting Hiccup Go at NYCC - October 14, 2018
- Mortal Engines: Christian Rivers Talks Peter Jackson Mentoring Him at NYCC - October 14, 2018
- Mortal Engines: Robert Sheehan Talks Filming a Green Screen Heavy Production at NYCC - October 14, 2018
- Mortal Engines: Stephen Lang Talks His Not So Human Character at NYCC - October 13, 2018