Tom King has been talking to Slate about his career in comics, moving from the CIA to becoming a writer, and how his flopped novel A Once Crowded Sky illustrated by Tom Fowler was picked up by Karen Berger, who gave him an eight page story with Fowler in Vertigo’s Time Warp, with Hitler’s sister having to deal with a time traveller killing her brother as a child. That was edited by Mark Doyle, who moved to become the Batman editor. The rest is history…
A tour de force debut novel from a former CIA counter-terrorism officer, A Once Crowded Skyfuses the sensibility of bombastic, comic-book-style storytelling with modern literary fiction to bring to life a universe of super men stripped of their powers, newly mortal men forced to confront danger in a world without heroes.
The superheroes of Arcadia City fight a wonderful war and play a wonderful game, forever saving yet another day. However, after sacrificing both their powers and Ultimate, the greatest hero of them all, to defeat the latest apocalypse, these comic book characters are transformed from the marvelous into the mundane.
After too many battles won and too many friends lost, The Soldier of Freedom was fine letting all that glory go. But when a new threat blasts through his city, Soldier, as ever, accepts his duty and reenlists in this next war. Without his once amazing abilities, he’s forced to seek the help of the one man who walked away, the sole hero who refused to make the sacrifice–PenUltimate, the sidekick of Ultimate, who through his own rejection of the game has become the most powerful man in the world, the only one left who might still, once again, save the day.
With some of that illustration art from Tom Fowler…
- DC’s New Age of Heroes Continues to Churn Through the Artists Who Were Meant to be First - March 20, 2018
- So Who is Writing Harley Quinn Anyway? Christopher Sebela or Sam Humphries? Or Both? - March 20, 2018
- Mister Miracle to Mera – More Big Books from DC Comics for 2018 and 2019 - March 20, 2018
- Marvel Comics Editor Job Swap? Jordan White on X-Men, Mark Paniccia on Star Wars - March 20, 2018
- Marvel Comics Finally Publishes Dazzler One-Shot as Dazzler: X-Song - March 19, 2018