One of the things that was announced during the Disney Live Action panel at D23 was that the live action re-make of Mulan was being delayed until 2019. That wasn’t that surprising since there were no casting announcements and no rumors of when the production was supposed to start. We still don’t have a solid release date yet, but the site My Entertainment World has revealed that production is set to start at the end of January 2018. The post also reveals that the film is not only going to shoot in China but also Australia and New Zealand.
If this timeline is to be believed it makes sense for a 2019 release date. Disney has two release dates, November 8, 2019 and December 20, 2019, that don’t have movies attached. That would give them plenty of time to get the movie off of the ground. However, Disney could take another release in early 2019 instead of waiting so long. The site also provided a story summary which doesn’t sound that different from the animated movie aside from the time gap at the end. If they’re starting shooting in January we should have most of the main cast before Christmas.
Story: The film is set in ancient China, Hua Mulan, a young woman, disguises herself as a man so she can take her father’s place in the army and go to war. She becomes a skilled warrior and, eventually, one of the country’s greatest heroines. She fights for twelve years and gains high merit, but she refuses any reward and retires to her hometown instead.
Mulan, directed by Niki Caro, has a release date of sometime in 2019.
- Disney's Release Dates for Indiana Jones 5, Untitled 2021 Marvel Movie, and More
- Report Claims Disney Looking at Brie Larson for 'Snow White' Spinoff, 'Rose Red'
- Mulan Live-Action Adaptation Has Found Its Leading Lady
- Daredevil Season 3: Peter Halpin Joins the Cast as Theo Nelson - October 18, 2018
- Watch Our Heroes Do Some Training in This New Robin Hood Clip - October 18, 2018
- Sophie Turner Talks Incorporating Mental Illness into Dark Phoenix - October 18, 2018
- Joshua Bassett Set to Star in High School Musical: The Musical for the Disney Streaming Service - October 17, 2018
- Arrowverse Crossover Elseworlds: First Look at Lois Lane, Black Suited Superman, and a Poster - October 17, 2018