Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean star Orlando Bloom will be heading to a neo-Victorian city filled with mythical creatures in the new Amazon drama series Carnival Row. Variety is reporting that Bloom will be taking on his first regular television role, playing Rycroft Philostrate, a police inspector investigating the the murder of a faerie showgirl. His character isn’t supposed to care about the death of a faerish refugee, but does and gets tangled in a much bigger story as the city is wrought with tension between the citizens and the growing immigrant population of mythical creatures.
Bloom will also produce the series that has gotten an eight-episode first season order. It will be showrun and executive produced by writer Rene Echevarria with Paul McGuigan on board to direct and executive produce as well. It’s based on the original feature script A Killing on Carnival Row by Travis Beacham. The script was on the Hollywood Blacklist in 2005 and Beacham will serve as an executive producer.
Besides the two big fantasy franchises, Bloom has also starred in Black Hawk Down, Elizabethtown, Troy, and Kingdom of Heaven.
Years a go I had the opportunity to read the A Killing on Carnival Row screenplay, and where I thought it was good, it is an idea that will be better suited over a longer format like this. It’s quite a large world to set up and have a mystery in only 2 hours. I look forward to seeing how the concept is realized for the small screen.
- One More Thing: Questions About The Flash, Marvel’s Jessica Jones, and More - March 17, 2018
- Krypton Season 1: The Symbol You Know - March 17, 2018
- Martin Freeman Says Sherlock Isn’t Fun Anymore - March 17, 2018
- Black Lightning Season 1: What is the A.S.A. that Gambi was Talking About? - March 17, 2018
- Agents of SHIELD Season 5, Episode 13 Recap: Principia - March 17, 2018