Shazam! is the next DC movie slated to go into production and it comes with a different type of superhero. Shazam, or Captain Marvel, is a kid that becomes an adult superhero when he says the magic word. This presents some unique challenges for a filmmaker but director David F. Sandberg recently spoke to Collider and how movies like Annabelle have helped him get ready for a project like Shazam!
Well I mean overall, I’ve been working with kids in both my movies to my success and there will be kids in Shazam and the main character is this kid who becomes an adult.
There were two ways that these movies could approach the idea of a kid who becomes an adult. They could de-age an adult actor or have an adult and a kid playing the same role. Sandberg has opted to go with the latter.
Yeah, I wouldn’t want to do that. That seems like way too much of a hassle. So I think it’s just kind of best to have a kid and an adult.
While he thinks the technology is very good he doesn’t know if it’s good enough to sustain a movie.
Yeah and they’ve done quite well, I mean Kurt Russell was in the latest Guardians was really well made I thought, but I think there’s a limit to it as well. You probably can’t do someone to be a kid. Why create that hassle for yourself?
It does seem like way more work to de-age someone than find two actors that look similar enough to pull it off. Shazam! is going to be an interesting project for DC, not to mention an acting decathlon for the two actors they get to play the role.
Summary: A boy is given the ability to become an adult superhero in times of need with a single magic word.
Shazam!, directed by David Sandberg, will be written by Henry Gayden. It will be released on April 5th, 2019.
- How 'Shazam!' Director David F. Sandberg Is Dealing With Fan Expectations
- Shazam! Director Says We Should Have Casting News "Hopefully Soon"
- 'Shazam!' Director Trolls Fan With "Perfect" Script Page
- Nerd Dome Podcast Episode 95: The Rights And Wrongs Of Adaptations
- 'Shazam!' Director David Sandberg Talks "Getting To Know The Character"
- Ant-Man and The Wasp: Director Peyton Reed on Having the Freedom to Tell His Own Story - June 19, 2018
- Ant-Man and The Wasp: Marvel Producer Calls Ghost “Awesome” and “Badass” - June 19, 2018
- Taylor Sheridan Already Has a Sicario 3 Planned Out - June 19, 2018
- 2 New Posters for Ant-Man and The Wasp - June 19, 2018
- 10 Behind-the-Scenes Pictures from Ant-Man and The Wasp - June 19, 2018