The Last Jedi has quite a bit to live up to. It is following up one of the most successful films of all time, The Force Awakens. It will be the final time we see Carrie Fisher on screen, as we all collectively say goodbye to our beloved General Leia. Luke Skywalker will be on screen for more than 30 seconds and will actually be talking, something I will get to experience for the first time (I was born in 1984), and will make me cry. But it also is getting compared to Empire Strikes Back. Like, a lot.
Twitter is full of snark saying this film will be just like The Force Awakens, a “remake” of another film in the saga, and that Star Wars is out of ideas and will just keep playing on our nostalgia forever and ever expecting us to just eat it all up. While I, for one, do not agree, the latest reveal won’t change anyone’s mind who thinks that way.
On this week’s Star Wars Show, Lucasfilm revealed two new ships from The Last Jedi: a new all-terrain walker called an AT-M6, which stands for All-Terrain Megacaliber Six. Megacaliber 6 is the name of the cannon on its back. This is much bigger than the AT-ATs we are used to seeing the Empire use, and the gorilla-like appearance helps stabilize the ship when firing its cannon in battle.
The other is a ship that is reminiscent any other Star Destroyer the Empire has previously used in the past. The First Order Dreadnought measures out at 7,700 meters long and sports two orbital auto cannons and a ton of anti-aircraft cannons on its surface.
Like I said: if you believe that this film will just be a “remake” of Empire, these will not be changing your mind in the slightest. I like that the First Order reveres the Empire so much, I think it makes perfect sense that a faction would rise up to pick up where the Empire left off and try to finish the job.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi hits theaters on December 15th.
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Rian Johnson Trusted His Inner Fan
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Rian Johnson: "It Was The Most Fun I've Ever Had Writing"
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Chewie's Pain And Han's Metaphorical Ghost
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi - More Phasma But Less Maz Kanata
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Kylo Ren's Humiliation
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Finn Has A Troubled Past
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Rey's Answers Won't Make Her Life Easier
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Rey's Origin Is Important, But It Doesn't Define Her
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi - DJ's A Slicer And Benicio Del Toro's "Disturbing" Performance
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Leia Organa Is Defined By Loss, But Keeps Hope
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Leia's Conflict Within The Resistance
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Poe Is A "Surrogate Son" To Leia
- Rian Johnson Considers Early Last Jedi Release Ahead Of Nuclear Trumpcalypse Of Fire And Fury
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' - EW Spotlights Rey, Luke In New First Looks
- Mattel WWE Retro Figures Get Great Packaging, Heartbreak Hotel… and It’s Awesome - February 23, 2018
- Kong Gets a Very Amazing, Very Expensive Statue from Prime 1 Studio - February 23, 2018
- Black Panther’s Awesome Villain Erik Killmonger Gets a Hot Toys Release - February 23, 2018
- We Take a Look at the Thanos Figure from Avengers: Infinity War - February 23, 2018
- Mondo Has a New Batman: The Animated Series Figure, and it Looks Awesome - February 22, 2018