Funko has had a kinda up and down year in the subscription box realm. While they now offer four different boxes, the first box they offered was their Marvel box. So that one gets held to a little higher standard than the others. The Marvel boxes have been hit or miss. The Superhero Showdown box was uniquely themed and great, while the two boxes based around movies (Guardians and Homecoming) were a tad underwhelming. So when they announced that the theme for this new box would be based around the first appearances of various Avengers, I got pretty excited at the possibilities. Did it meet my expectations? Watch the unboxing below, and then join us after for a breakdown of the swag!
So, while not as packed as some of the other boxes have been, everything inside is solid.
The Captain America patch is hands down the best they have ever put into a box. They have really stepped up the patch game, and it would be hard for them to top this. Featuring Cap coming off the patch with his classic shield behind him, this was a great idea for a patch. Come to think of it, they did a great job making sure they represented everyone well that is part of the box. Even the pin, while not the most exciting, is a great classic portrait of Nick Fury. Great stuff.
The box highlight for me is the shirt. Such an iconic cover, they really nailed this. Great choice on not making the shirt black, I will always give big points for that. Right down to the the soldier pointing on the right, this is a great Pop shirt. If they did a run of classic marvel covers done Pop style on shirts I would buy every single one of them. Do it Funko!
The first Funko Pop is the one that they announced ahead of time, a first appearance of Iron Man from Tales of Suspense #39. Looks just like Tony built it! Ok, not exactly but this one is pretty cool. I love the paint they choose, although as you can see, if you are a loose collector and it falls over on your display it will pick up scoffs. The metallic look however really pops (i’m sorry), and it serves the sculpt well. The chest plate is the star here, all the little details are done perfectly.
The main event for collectors is the long-awaited comic version Funko Pop of Vision, from Avengers #57. We have gotten film versions of Vision in the past, but this is the first comic one. And it is worth the wait. Right away, the cape is what your eyes are drawn to, and I love the way it folds and wraps around his head and body. My Vision doesn’t have any paint issues, which is so important with a Pop with a lighter color scheme. Everything about this one is fantastic, and he alone made this box worth a purchase.
As always, the box includes a teaser sheet for the next box with some behind the scenes of the items from the current one. A Ragnarok box has quite a few possibilities. Hopefully it bucks the trend of movie-themed boxes this year and blows us away. You can order one for yourself right here.
- Portal And Team Fortress Finally Get The Funko Treatment
- Funko News Desk: Teen Titans GO!, Stranger Things, Disney Princesses, And More!
- Snow White Is Celebrating Its 80th Anniversary, And Funko Is Helping
- What Happens To A Comic Store When Funko Opens Its New HQ Opposite?
- Gail Simone's #ComicsHateNazis, The Hashtag America Needs Right Now
- Wonder Woman Wins At Everything, Including Most Adorable Funko Dorbz Ridez Ever
- Funko HQ's Grand Opening Is Next Week – Here Are The Details And Some Exclusives!
- Destiny 2 Gets Two Exclusive Funko Pops At GameStop For Fans To Chase Down
- Funko Insider Club: New From Gamestop Aims To Keep Fans Informed...And Rewarded
- Funko Offers The Most Adorable Dorbz Yet With DC Bombshells
- Funko Grabs All My Money With Star Wars Mystery Minis. Here Is Where The Exclusives Are.
- WWE Collectors Have Tons to Be Excited About: Mattel WWE at SDCC - July 20, 2018
- Check Out 50+ Pics From the Sideshow Collectibles Booth at SDCC - July 20, 2018
- Check Out 77 Pics From the Hot Toys Display at SDCC - July 20, 2018
- Pennywise Returns to SDCC at ScareDiego, Along With The Nun and Curse of La Llorona - July 20, 2018
- Bleeding Cool at the SDCC Hasbro Fan Breakfast: Star Wars, Marvel Legends, Transformers, and More! - July 19, 2018