When it was announced last week that Robert Kirkman and Skybound Entertainment had ended its long-term deal with AMC Networks and signed-on to a two-year deal with Amazon Prime, there was some concern as to how the deal would impact Kirkman’s current AMC programming slate. The creator of The Walking Dead, Fear The Walking Dead and Robert Kirkman’s Secret History of Comics took to Twitter Monday afternoon to calm nerves and set the record straight:
— Robert Kirkman (@RobertKirkman) August 14, 2017
In his deal with Amazon Prime, Kirkman will develop new television shows exclusively for the streaming service, as well as giving Amazon “first look” rights to all Skybound projects (shows, films, comics, etc.). The deal does not apply to any current programming that Kirkman/Skybound have that’s currently on-the-air.
Translation? The Walking Dead fans don’t need to get a Prime subscription to see Rick take down Negan.
Many saw the hiring of Sharon Tal Yguado by Amazon as a key part of the streaming service’s attempts to woo Kirkman away from AMC: Yguado was responsible for the international roll-out for The Walking Dead and for developing Outcast to series before the comic book series was ever published.
In a statement released at the time the Amazon deal was announced, Kirkman pretty much confirmed the importance of that move in bringing him over:
“At Skybound Entertainment we strive to tell the best stories in the most unique and creative ways in an effort to always break new ground. A forward-thinking company like Amazon is the perfect home for us. Their new foray into genre fiction has us at peak optimism for what can be accomplished during this unprecedented partnership. Sharon Tal Yguado has been an instrumental force in the success of Walking Dead and Outcast from Day 1. Being able to not only continue that relationship, but also expand it into new territory with the vast resources of Amazon, means great things are ahead for myself, David Alpert, Skybound and fans of awesome entertainment. Look out world, here we come!”
- Amazon Has Officially Stopped New Game Discounts
- Skybound’s “Wheel Of Awesome” Shatters The Entertainment Business Model
- Friday Night Feast Season 6: The Doctor, Captain Picard and ‘Always Sunny’s’ Frank Join Jamie & Jimmy - November 16, 2018
- Sweet Tooth: Jeff Lemire’s Vertigo Comic Gets Hulu Pilot Order - November 16, 2018
- NBC Orders Pilot Script for Jeffrey Deaver’s ‘The Bone Collector’ Series Adapt - November 16, 2018
- Supergirl: CW Casts Two and a Half Men’s Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor for Season 4 - November 16, 2018
- CW’s Arrowverse “Elseworlds” Crossover Gets Comic Book Key Art - November 16, 2018