Breaking from San Diego Comic-Con today, the upcoming CBS TV show Star Trek: Discovery, airing this autumn, will feature a same-sex couple on one of the ships.
Wilson Cruz (Rent, My So-Called Life) will play the love interest of character Lt. Paul Stamets, played by Anthony Rupp (Rent, Psych: The Musical). They are both officers on the same ship.
Star Trek: Discovery was created by Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman for CBS All Access. It is the first series developed specifically for that service, and the first Star Trek series since Star Trek: Enterprise concluded in 2005.
Set roughly a decade before the events of the original Star Trek series, separate from the timeline of the concurrent feature films, Discovery explores the Federation-Klingon cold war while following the crew of the USS Discovery. Gretchen J. Berg and Aaron Harberts serve as showrunners on the series, with producing support from Akiva Goldsman.
The production put an emphasis on carrying on the legacy of the previous series, including making efforts to feature a diverse cast. This particular news announcement may highlight that aspect of the show. You can check out video of the announcement below.
Star Trek: Discovery is set to debut on CBS on September 24th, with a two-part premiere. Those episodes will then be made available on All Access, followed by the rest of the 15-episode first season over subsequent weeks. The season is split into two chapters, with the first chapter finishing in November 2017, and the second chapter beginning in January 2018.
- Peter J Tomasi Gets an Ad For His Own Graphic Novel in Detective Comics #994 - December 12, 2018
- He Did It… Brian Bendis Actually Did It…. (Superman #6 Final Page Spoilers) - December 12, 2018
- Keyforge, Bloodshot, War Of The Realms, and Mad Cave Highlighted in Diamond 2019 Calendar - December 12, 2018
- In Spawn Kills Everyone 2 #1… No One Dies? - December 12, 2018
- Captain Britain Doesn’t Want Any Brexit Jokes in Avengers #11 - December 12, 2018