This morning, Atari sent out a newsletter showing off their new console, the Ataribox, complete with a pair of photos and some minor details about the system. First, let’s take a quick gander at this thing.
The goal of the new system in Atari’s eyes is to stay true to the fanbase while incorporating new tech. We’re really hoping that doesn’t mean we’re just getting updated versions of Frogger and Pong on a system with an HDMI hookup. The look is, of course, inspired by the design of their former consoles (except the Jaguar) including ribs that flow around the whole console and give it a very different look and appeal to other systems on the market.
Apparently, the front panel that can be either wood or glass, which holds indicator lights that glow along with a logo on the front. What exactly those lights mean is anyone’s guess at the moment. As you can see below, the back end will include an HDMI port, a SD port, Ethernet, and four USB ports.
Atari states that the system will be designed to support classic titles along with current games, but no details have been released as to what third-party companies are on board with creating content for the console. One would assume if they’re aiming for a 2018 launch, Atari would be looking for a range of exclusive titles as well as multi-console favorites to compete with the PS4, Xbox One and the Switch. But that may be difficult to determine from a fan’s perspective since the internal tech wasn’t discussed at all, so we have no firm idea of what the system can and can’t do.
Ther was no date given, no titles, no price, and no specs beyond what you see. We do know that it will come in two editions as you can choose between “classic wood” or “black and red”, depending if you like to go old-school or stay modern. Atari stated in the letter that they are purposefully not revealing details as they would rather get the system right than rush something that will fall flat again, and that they will be listening to the community for feedback.
- 'Tempest' Returns As Atari Shows Off 'Tempest 4000'
- Pre-Order Dates Set For Atari And Sega Genesis Flashback Consoles
- Atari Is Working On A Brand New Console, As Confirmed By CEO
- The Atari Flashback 8 Gold & Sega Genesis Flashback Set For Fall Release
- Exclusive First Look At The Atari Related Titles From Dynamite Shipping June 2017
- IDW To Make Tabletop Games From Classic Atari Titles
- ‘Ink’, ‘MvCI’, & ‘NBA 2K18’ For Video Game Releases: Sept. 19-25 - September 19, 2017
- Battling Like A Pair Of Rad DJ’s! We Review ‘Dropmix’ - September 18, 2017
- Getting A Better View With Two New Pair Of Gunnar Optiks - September 18, 2017
- Listen, Morty. I Know Who Did It. We Review ‘Rick And Morty’ - September 18, 2017
- The Nipple Mod You Need: Adding Shirtless Mario To ‘Super Smash Bros.’ - September 18, 2017