Bleeding Cool gave you a little rundown of how Doctor Who had been preparing the way for a female incarnation of the character. And indeed, new showrunner Chris Chibnall has stated that this was always going to be the way.
“I always knew I wanted the 13th Doctor to be a woman and we’re thrilled to have secured our number one choice. Her audition for the Doctor simply blew us all away. Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role. The 13th Doctor is on her way.”
The BBC quotes 35-year old Jodie Whittaker, the 13th Doctor, as saying:
“I’m beyond excited to begin this epic journey – with Chris and with every Whovian on this planet. It’s more than an honour to play the Doctor. It means remembering everyone I used to be, while stepping forward to embrace everything the Doctor stands for: hope. I can’t wait.”
Meanwhile, the incumbent Peter Capaldi said of the new Doctor:
“Anyone who has seen Jodie Whittaker’s work will know that she is a wonderful actress of great individuality and charm. She has above all the huge heart to play this most special part. She’s going to be a fantastic Doctor.”
Here’s a look at that reveal moment again…just please, yes, can we avoid this predictable route?
- An Interview With Doctor Who's 13th Doctor, Jodie Whittaker
- A Comic Show – Out Of The Other Side Of A Hurricane - September 19, 2017
- Dark Horse Comics For December 2017 Solicits - September 19, 2017
- Damon Lindelof’s Watchmen Adaptation For HBO Starts Pre-Production - September 19, 2017
- Berke Breathed’s New Complete ‘Bloom County’ Set Costs $1200 – Here’s Why - September 19, 2017
- IDW December 2017 Solicits Put A Love And Rocket Up Your Assassinistas - September 19, 2017