At the Disney D23 Expo in Anaheim, Marvel had revealed a large statue of Thanos as he will appear in Avengers: Infinity War. However, alongside Thanos were four other statues — soon revealed to be the Children of Thanos — that stood covered in blankets, with signs saying they would be revealed Saturday.
Many expected that the reveal would happen during the two-hour live-action films panel, that included Marvel Studios, but no such reveal was forthcoming. Reports claimed that the mysterious cloaked statues had been moved, but it was clear that some kind of reveal was about to take place at the Marvel Studios booth at the convention.
— Kristine Sabillo (@KSabilloINQ) July 15, 2017
Many theories had been swirling about what the reveal could be, some even going so far as to suggest that Marvel Studios may have retrieved the rights to the Fantastic Four. However, another option seemed more likely: the Black Order.
Although initially consisting of five members, the Black Order were introduced in Jonathan Hickman‘s Infinity event, and were the lieutenants of the Mad Titan Thanos himself. And Hickman’s work at Marvel has been used as inspiration for the Marvel Cinematic Universe before.
Well, it would seem that these were in fact the statues, long rumoured to be part of the movie from set leaks. However, they have a new name.
— Inside the Magic (@InsideTheMagic) July 15, 2017
Renamed the Children of Thanos, and revealed in the presence of Thanos actor Josh Brolin — who also held aloft an impressive, huge Infinity Gauntlet — the Children of Thanos are clearly the Black Order (also known as the Cull Obsidian): namely Corvus Glaive, Proxima Midnight, Ebony Maw and Black Dwarf.
The Black Order, or I suppose The Children of Thanos, have the following skills to utilise in the name of their despotic leader. Corvus Glaive is Thanos right hand man, a sadistic creature with the standard physical enhancements, but wielding a bladed pike that can cut through anything and is functionally immortal as long as he holds it. Proxima Midnight is Corvus’ wife (in the comics, at least) and a master hand-to-hand combatant, wielding a lance capable of becoming light beams with venomous effects. Ebony Maw is a genius who is preternaturally skilled in the powers of persuasion, capable of convincing anyone to do anything through sinister subtlety. And Black Dwarf – well, Black Dwarf is a tank. He’s the brother of Corvus and is nigh-indestructible and super dense, like the celestial body his name derives from.
So Thanos will not be alone in menacing the heroes of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in Avengers: Infinity War after all.
Thanos brought his infinity gauntlet pic.twitter.com/2to9D97KGR
— Louis D'Esposito (@louisde2) July 15, 2017
Avengers: Infinity War, directed by Joe and Anthony Russo, stars Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downey Jr., Tom Holland, Chris Pratt, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chadwick Boseman, Zoe Saldana, Josh Brolin, and a cavalcade of stars from the whole MCU. Check it out in theaters May 4th, 2018.
- Mindless Speculation: Is Thane Coming To The Marvel Cinematic Universe?
- Mark Ruffalo Says Never To A Hulk Solo Movie, Because Of Universal And Marvel Kerfuffle
- Captain America Has A Beard - Marvel's Infinity War Teaser And Trailer Shown At #D23
- The Disney Movie Slate From 2017 Through To 2019 Is Insane #D23 (VISUAL UPDATE)
- Avengers: Infinity War Wraps Production, Avengers 4 To Begin
- Marvel Unveils First 10 Of The Phoenix Variant Covers Coming In December - September 19, 2017
- Dave Proch Will Make Comics With You Via His New Patreon - September 19, 2017
- We The Heroes Ball Returns To New York Comic Con For Second Year - September 19, 2017
- Twitter Says It’s Cracking Down On Abusive Accounts, But It’s Not Doing Enough - September 17, 2017
- What Is Greg Capullo On To Next After Metal? Could Be Swamp Thing - September 17, 2017