Disney announced a new animated movie for April 12, 2019, at the D23 Expo on Friday afternoon. John Lasseter made the announcement on stage during the Pixar and Walt Disney Animation panel. He came armed with a t-shirt cannon in hand that launched Hawaiian shirts at eventgoers, which might be an oblique hint at the new film, or could just be a reference to the studio’s latest hit, Moana.
“It is harder to think of a title than it is to get to space,” Lasseter said about the untitled project. He then showed the audience a scene of rough footage from the movie, which he called a “speed test,” which, according to Variety’s report, “showed two military planes zooming through a rocky landscape. An evil-looking third plane then swooped down from space and grazed the side of one of the planes.”
Early reactions to the footage indicated that it might be a Planes sequel, but Lasseter is mostly working under the Disney Animation umbrella these days, and the footage is not from a Pixar film. Which leaves us with a whole lot more guesswork to do. Hawaiian shirts and an aerial dogfight would immediately make me think Pearl Harbor, but that doesn’t fit Disney’s usual MO for animated films.
“Today we’re going to show you things that no one has seen outside the walls of our studio,” Lasseter had teased earlier in the presentation before showing a short Mary Poppins reel featuring Lin-Manuel Miranda and later footage from Wreck-It Ralph 2, which introduced Yesss, the new character played by Taraji P. Henson.
- Inside The Disney Live Panel At D23, Part 2: 'Mary Poppins', 'Dumbo', And Tears For 'The Lion King'
- Dauntless Has a New Opening Cinematic in Time for the Open Beta - May 22, 2018
- Earthfall Will Release for PC and Consoles this July - May 22, 2018
- Final Fantasy XIV’s Patch 4.3 is Live with New Raids, Dungeons, and PvP Updates - May 22, 2018
- Activision Blizzard Announces Overwatch LEGO at Licensing Expo 2018 - May 22, 2018
- Destiny 2 Brings Back the Bannerfall Map for Season 3’s First Iron Banner - May 22, 2018