Hugh Jackman has been playing Wolverine for almost a decade and this March he finally laid the character to rest. It makes sense and 20th Century Fox, to their credit, gave him a hell of a send off. In a new interview with Digital Spy Jackman talked about the other way he would return to the character and it’s not in a movie.
Jackman revealed that he kept the costume but he only comes back in one context.
He’ll come back, just not with me,” he said. “Well, except on Saturday nights at my house. I dress up! When my kids are not doing their homework, I dress up and the claws come out,” he laughed. “I just have to do that [raise an eyebrow] with the claws and it works!”
That’s a pretty funny mental image but I imagine it wouldn’t work on Jackman’s kids as well as it would work on anyone else in the world. To them he’s just their dad. Jackman went on to talk about how the role will go onto the next person and that he’s confident it will be recast someday.
“Definitely someone else will play the role [of Wolverine], it’s a great role,” he added. “You know, it’s like a Bond or it’s like a Batman, those kinds of roles. Other people will play him for sure.”
He brings up a good point; we’ve been recasting Batman and Bond for years and no one has pitched a fit about it. Why should this role be any different? Jackman just bowed out this year so unless they decide to have Laura take the mantle it’ll probably be a couple of years before we see a new Wolverine. If they really wanted to avoid comparisons giving the mantle to Laura would be the easiest way to do it. Let her be Wolverine for a long time then when she’s ready to back there will be enough distance to recast without anyone losing their minds.
- Maleficent 2 Adds Actress Jenn Murray to the Cast - May 20, 2018
- Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool 2 Is How You Do LGBTQ+ Representation Right [Spoilers] - May 20, 2018
- Ryan Reynolds Talks About Introducing Cable in Deadpool 2 - May 20, 2018
- Phoebe Waller-Bridge Didn’t Know What a Droid Was When She Auditioned for Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 20, 2018
- Solo: A Star Wars Story – Lawrence Kasdan Talks Fan Criticism - May 20, 2018