Director Matt Reeves is currently doing press for War for the Planet of the Apes but it seems that people are pretty interested in his next project. Reeves has signed on to direct The Batman for Warner Bros. now that Ben Affleck decided to just star. There were a couple of hurdles to jump along the way but Reeves is ready to sit down and start working on the movie. He’s spoken about the noir feeling that he’s going for but he spoke to Variety’s Playback Podcast about the comparisons he’d draw between Batman and Caesar from the Apes movies.
“What I see in Batman that I find so interesting is that, in a way, he reminds me of Caesar, in that he is a character with a really troubled past who is grappling within himself to try to do the right thing in a really imperfect world, in a corrupt world,” Reeves said. “That provides an opportunity, again, if you want to take that point-of-view storytelling — and I can imagine the story as being like a noir. The originals from the golden age were detective stories. I think if you can marry that with the personal, there’s a chance to do something very exciting.”
All of this is still hypothetical since Reeves is just now starting on the project. It isn’t that surprising that Reeves would compare these two characters which is something Bleeding Cool pointed out in April.
Summary: After the apes suffer unimaginable losses, Caesar wrestles with his darker instincts and begins his own mythic quest to avenge his kind.
War for the Planet of the Apes is directed by Matt Reeves and stars Andy Serkis, Woody Harrelson, Steve Zahn, Amiah Miller, Karin Konoval, Judy Greer, and Terry Notary. It will be released on July 14th.
The Batman currently has no release date.
- War For The Planet Of The Apes Review: A Satisfying Conclusion To One Of The Best Trilogies Ever
- War For The Planet Of The Apes Review: One Of The Summer's Best
- A Batman Hater Reviews Batman #25: No One Understands My Pain (Or My Mad Stacks)
- New 'War For The Planet Of The Apes' Video Shows Off What A Talent Andy Serkis Is
- New Behind-The-Scenes Video For 'War For The Planet Of The Apes'
- War For The Planet Of The Apes Clip Shows Caesar Confronting Colonel
- 'War For The Planet Of The Apes' Director Look To Classic War Movies For Inspiration
- [Very] Early Estimates Say Avengers: Endgame Could Make $2B at the Worldwide Box Office - December 9, 2018
- Amy Adams Thinks She’s Out of the DC Universe - December 9, 2018
- Carol Danvers Stands Tall in This New Poster for Captain Marvel - December 8, 2018
- First Trailer for Brightburn Imagines ‘What If Superman Was Evil?’ - December 8, 2018
- Dark Phoenix’s Script Was Reviewed by Kevin Feige, Will Have a Similar Tone to Logan - December 8, 2018