Gazillion publishes and maintain the online game Marvel Heroes Omega, based on a story by Brian Michael Bendis. They recently posted a now-deleted warning to players that the Fantastic Four characters were about to disappear from purchase, namely Mister Fantastic, The Invisible Woman, the Thing, the Human Torch and the Silver Surfer, and a variety of spinoff characters and costumes such as the Future Foundation skins. And that this was down to Gazillion renewing their licensing agreement with Marvel. Bleeding Cool was the first to report how Marvel were withdrawing their licensing agreements for anything related to the Fantastic Four a couple of years ago, after a disastrous internal meeting between Marel and Fox Studios. Not only were both Fantastic Four comics cancelled, but trading cards, statues, toys, games, posters, clothing and calendars were cancelled or amended to remove any mention of the FF.Of late, there seemed to be green shoots of some possibility of a reconciliation, but news of another Fantastic Four movie in the works from Fox may have scuppered them again.
Here’s that announcement in full and the forums where it was made before Gazillion deleted the notice. Could they have overshared? It’s not the only time Gazillkion have fallen foul of this, as in a now-also-deleted YouTube video in which they mentioned that running a Fantastic Four movie-themed event within the Marvel Heroes game got them in trouble a couple of years ago…
David Brevik: Not really that big of a surprise, that we would tie in with the Captain America movie.
Jungle Queen: Considering you tied in with every other movie. Even the one you weren’t supposed to. Whoops!
David Brevik: We’re still in the Penalty box for that
Jungle Queen: Fricking Marvel
David Brevik: Yeah, fricking Marvel.
Jungle Queen: Fricking Fox.
David Brevik: You think Marvel are here watching us?
- Salt Lake Comic Con Gets a New Name, the FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention - December 15, 2017
- Extended Preview of Axis & Atlas #1, the New Titan Comic That’s “a Cross Between Asterix and Bone” - December 15, 2017
- Comic Store In Your Future: Getting Rid of the Dead Shoplifters Before the Secret Shopper Arrives - December 15, 2017
- Sir Derek Jacobi to Play the Voice of God in Good Omens TV Series - December 15, 2017
- Marvel Comics Asks Retailers to Hold on to Ed Piskor’s Corner Box - December 15, 2017